what insulation is best for me

irishlion

hi guys ,

we have decided that external insulation is just not financially possible when we are moving into our first home , so these are my two options so far , what do you think is best and maybe some comments on what materials to use would be most helpful ....

option A - stud out all internal walls and fill with rolled insulation , slab and dry-line

option B - as above except using thermal boards ....
studded out also as the cottage is getting a re-wire

thanks guys n gals

irishlion,

What is the make-up of the existing walls in the cottage - are they solid, cavity walls etc. Before doing anything make sure that there is absloutely no moisture getting through the external walls. With cavity walls there is a recommendation that the thickness of the insulation on the thermal board should not exceed .5 times the thickness of the cavity wall insulation.
Personally I would fill the area between the battens with foil back insulation. Then I would fix thermal board to the battens the thickness of which may depend on your cavity wall insulation. I would ensure a minimum thickness of 30mm insulation on the thermal board. Also get the supplier to give you the expected u-value as you are doubling up on insulation.

Hope this helps,

Wex Dude.

Hi,

thermal boards or studded insulation ? ....

Have you not already asked this question in your previous, above
titled post?

Maddad

hi guys ,

we have decided that external insulation is just not financially possible when we are moving into our first home , so these are my two options so far , what do you think is best and maybe some comments on what materials to use would be most helpful ....

option A - stud out all internal walls and fill with rolled insulation , slab and dry-line

option B - as above except using thermal boards ....
studded out also as the cottage is getting a re-wire

thanks guys n gals

Consider external insulation with render - min 100mm but get advice on this.

Watch your ope and sill detailing and don't obscure any wall or eaves vents.

ONQ.

maddad , i appreciate your observation , but im actually on these boards to get some help with a few things , not to be chastised ! perhaps i felt like i needed to ask the question again , but eliminating external insulation because most people suggested that and we are not in a position to do so right now ....... is that ok ?

thanks for your help wexford dude , this is more than likely the approach i will take . so far ive stripped all the external walls (internally) of old plasterboard / insulation / battons . we got a dehumidifier delivered to our house today for a total of three weeks , so hopefully that should get rid of alot of the moisture within the rooms . the walls are solid (1940 cottage) . i was advised to remove any plaster up to 1.2 meters on the walls to see how bad the rising damp is , hopefully we will get away with just having them tanked , and not injected ! ... then il re stud with 4x2 s and insulate like you suggested

Back