What info can we get from a smart meter

Shout out to bonkers who just replied with the information. I'm still trying to crush the ESB data, there is a lot of it in the spreadsheets, however ignoring the highlighted inconsistencies around sample size, sample target, and age of the original profile, it does appear the original 52/39/9 split came from real measured data.

CRU publication on smart meters. Covers multiple responses from suppliers at the time, especially around the load profile. Some really good information in there and I wish the CRU themselves had provided this when asked.

ESB load profiles. Lots and lots of spreadsheets and code numbers. Taking a random entry I get a split of 64/22/13, but with so many numbers, that is kind of meaningless.

Here is https://www.bordgaisenergy.ie/home/our-tariffs themselves which list different figures for urban and rural, again with no source for where the breakdown is coming from.
Bord Gais are an independent comparison site??
The CRU certainly mandate the standard times for the split. When it comes to a pure day/night split and consumption, in the CRU Electricity and Gas Suppliers' Handbook 2021 it states:
The Estimated Annual Bill for Day/Night tariffs should be calculated as a 62%/38% Day/Night split.
Yeah, that all came from the 2017 consultation exercise that revised overall usage down from 5,300 kWh to the current 4,200. Based on the data it would actually have been better if they had published separate guides for rural and urban use, but more particularly for users who already had day/night meters installed. The rural average for those with day/night meters was actually 12,000kWh!

The rural average for those with day/night meters was actually 12,000kWh!

Would rural users include dairy farmers whose electricity usage would be significantly higher than that of 'normal' domestic consumers?

Would rural users include dairy farmers whose electricity usage would be significantly higher than that of 'normal' domestic consumers?
That was mentioned in the notes as one element alright. Rural homes tend to be larger with a greater prevalence of outdoor lighting for security purposes.

Back