what i understand of A.H

wanagetahome

Ok, So does this sound correct for me to do.
I live on south dublin co.council. so i HAVE to go for that? as im not sure if i want to live in clondalkin/tallaght because im not from anywhere near there really.
Secondly, (my salary is 33-34K)I have no savings, so before I apply should I try and save maybe 900euro per month for say 6 months and have no loans, or do i need to have a lump sum of savings,? I would continue to save the 900 until I recieved an apartment so bulk up a downpayment.
thirdly, If im applying as a single applicant and my partner is not eligible to apply, will I only get a one bedroom place? as we do plan to marry and have children at some stage.
am I on the right track or way off?

mmm...you're not really on track here with your info. First of all you will probably be in the Affordable Housing Scheme bracket as your wages are <€45k and you have no savings. You can apply to as many councils as you like you're not just restricted to SDCC. SDCC has a long long waiting list, i have heard of lotteries happening too but you'll need to ask them that. Try and not restrict yourself to only certain regions of south co. dublin, you'll be waiting even longer. You can turn down offers, possibly twice or so and no,just because you're a single applicant does not mean you'll only be offered one bedroom places. Start saving as much as you can now (>€600/mth) and by the time your name comes around you'll have a nice bit saved. You could be in for a bit of a wait though...dont expect it to happen in under 6mths.

i was a single applicant with DCC and i got a 2 bed apt. so it depends on what you can pay and what they have on offer at the time..

Oh thats great! It all seem so complicated to begin with, i think im getting the idea now, so im not tied to one co. council... thats ideal really! just wana get a move on now and get my own place sooner rather than later. cheers for that!! :D

really depends on the property - if its under the affordable housing scheme or affordable housing initiative (basically one os for those with under 40k a year and the other is for those under 60k) and also how much you are paying up front - as far as i recall you need to have a minimum deposit of 5% or something like that also

something under the scheme would be anything up to the 200K or not much highter

For sale at present under the Affordable/Shared Ownership Scheme

Martello, Balbriggan - 2 bed mid-terrace houses, from €156,500.
New Haven Bay, Balbriggan - 2 bed ground floor apartments, €155,500.
Windmill, Coolmine, Dublin 15 - 2 bed ground floor apartments, €186,000

while the initiative would be more likely in the 200 to 300k

The Coast, Baldoyle, Dublin 13 (View Photos)
Prices from €255,000 - €280,000.
Heywood Court, Santry, Dublin 9 (View Photos)
Prices from €259,950 - €270,000
Carrington, Santry, Dublin 9 (View Photos)
Prices from €249,675 - €279,225
Erris Square, Blanchardstown, Dublin 15
Prices from €235,950.(these went up to the 275 range for a 2 bed duplex about 80 sqm)

obviously the iniative are a little more expensive but do offer nicer places - but thats not always the case - i kone of people having gotten some lovely homes for half what i payed that are every bit as nice as what i got

the other advantage of the iniative is that there is not the waiting list that you get with the others - if you have the money they will offer pretty much as soon as you have been processed unlike the waiting list of the guts of 1000 for the scheme

each council has their own way of offering - fingal is based on a list but others run a lottery - with fingal you dont get penalised for refusing an offer but in other councils you do - sadly, you really have to check out each council to see how they operate - but its a single aplication so you just tick the areas of interest to you and wait (and wait and wait) for the offers

but as far as you repayments - its impossible to say unless you have an idea of the price range of the property along with the terms of the mortgage - i.e is it a 25/30/35 year mortgage and at what rate - is it fixed or variable etc - the best thing to work this out is a mortgage calculator e.g.
[broken link removed]

if you have any other qs then ask away and i can tell you about my experiences etc and offer any advise & i can or bore you with stories of my battles (along with others) with the evil AHP and their overvaluations

With DCC is depends on what scheme you go with , with shared ownership, you only have to pay €1.300 deposit (that is a set fee) and that is it. With Affordable housing you need to pay 3% deposit of the price of the property. I went with Shared ownership due to this deposit etc,, and it felt great to use the money i had saved to do up the place rather than putting it down as deposit. Just with shared ownership you dont fully own it, but you can buy them out with a bank and pay back the claw back also once your in a year. I have done so and now privately own it.

AHP and their overvaluations
This is a major point to look out for..i know in Phibblestown they seem to be still basing their clawback % on last years valuations! West Dublin properties have been decreasing in value since then! Make sure you are aware of what your property is worth and dont take their word for it (it generally will be way off the mark)! This is important as it will affect your clawback you will have to pay back to them if you sell down the line!

with DCC when i bought them out i was told when doing so that i had to get my own valuation. I then sent them my valuation and they sent out one of their guys to do their own valuation on it and see if they agreed with my valuation.

really depends on the property - if its under the affordable housing scheme or affordable housing initiative (basically one os for those with under 40k a year and the other is for those under 60k) and also how much you are paying up front - as far as i recall you need to have a minimum deposit of 5% or something like that also

something under the scheme would be anything up to the 200K or not much highter

For sale at present under the Affordable/Shared Ownership Scheme

Martello, Balbriggan - 2 bed mid-terrace houses, from €156,500.
New Haven Bay, Balbriggan - 2 bed ground floor apartments, €155,500.
Windmill, Coolmine, Dublin 15 - 2 bed ground floor apartments, €186,000

while the initiative would be more likely in the 200 to 300k

The Coast, Baldoyle, Dublin 13 (View Photos)
Prices from €255,000 - €280,000.
Heywood Court, Santry, Dublin 9 (View Photos)
Prices from €259,950 - €270,000
Carrington, Santry, Dublin 9 (View Photos)
Prices from €249,675 - €279,225
Erris Square, Blanchardstown, Dublin 15
Prices from €235,950.(these went up to the 275 range for a 2 bed duplex about 80 sqm)

obviously the iniative are a little more expensive but do offer nicer places - but thats not always the case - i kone of people having gotten some lovely homes for half what i payed that are every bit as nice as what i got

the other advantage of the iniative is that there is not the waiting list that you get with the others - if you have the money they will offer pretty much as soon as you have been processed unlike the waiting list of the guts of 1000 for the scheme

each council has their own way of offering - fingal is based on a list but others run a lottery - with fingal you dont get penalised for refusing an offer but in other councils you do - sadly, you really have to check out each council to see how they operate - but its a single aplication so you just tick the areas of interest to you and wait (and wait and wait) for the offers

but as far as you repayments - its impossible to say unless you have an idea of the price range of the property along with the terms of the mortgage - i.e is it a 25/30/35 year mortgage and at what rate - is it fixed or variable etc - the best thing to work this out is a mortgage calculator e.g.
[broken link removed]

if you have any other qs then ask away and i can tell you about my experiences etc and offer any advise & i can or bore you with stories of my battles (along with others) with the evil AHP and their overvaluations

Hi CMB,

I am 24 and single and I don't have any chance of buying a full priced house or app. So I'm thinking of doing the AH scheme. i don't live in Dublin or in the Dublin area not anymore but I am working in Dublin city which they say I'm covered to apply. I've been in my job 1 year from this Feb. I don't have any savings to talk about but I am putting away €500 a month to the Cred union. €300 of which is paying off a loan and €200 into savings. My wages are around mid 30s maybe higher by the end of Feb.

I'm going to apply to DCC, Fingal and Dun county councils.

You said you would disclose more information about getting approved etc. What else do I need to do or look out for etc?

As much help and info would most appreciated.:)

Back