What happens with packages worth say €100 from UK after the car crash that is Brexit?

That can be annoying alright, but I doubt it will change in all cases regardless of what the trade agreements are. Many of the UK companies will have legally binding agreements in guaranteeing them as the sole agents for UK and Ireland. Unless there are exit clauses that can be exercised or the red tape involved means the UK company want to give up the Irish market, we could be in for even more pain.

I would have thought that some sort of single market access right might apply?

what value package can you import before you have to pay above taxes etc? (also is it just value of item in package or total value uk shipping costs as well )
From July 1st 2021,all parcels from outside the EU irrespective of value will attract VAT.
Your £10 item could end up costing €30 or more.

Why? I think the argument made on the Brexit side was that "The EU needs us more than the we need them therefore will give us access to the single market". But since 2016 the EU has been pretty consistent - no access to the single market without allignment

From July 1st 2021,all parcels from outside the EU irrespective of value will attract VAT.
Your £10 item could end up costing €30 or more.
It only applies if the item and the p&p cost over €22 , anything below is exempt

If they agree a trade deal to incorporate those terms then it will, but as it stands in the absence of such a deal, WTO rules will apply.

now that the deal is done ,what is happening with this now ?

An Post say they have worked with the companies that ship ~95% of parcels here to apply any necessary duties are applied to your basket prior to purchase.

Amazon have stated that Irish customers will face charges should they decide to return non-faulty products. Other vendors may well follow suit, or refuse returns of non-faulty goods now that the EU's online shopping protections no longer apply.

My understanding is that Amazon will automatically add Irish vat (on its own sales - not third party) so there shouldn’t be any additional costs. Apparently they are integrated with the revenue vat system (I don’t know the mechanics of this).

Other exporters in the U.K. should export without vat. So you’ll have to pay vat when it arrives (probably plus post “admin fee” of €10). It may not be worth while for some U.K. firms to set themselves up for export so we may find more limited choice.

At the moment I don’t see how addresspal works. U.K. vendors will add vat as it is going to a U.K. address so do you have to pay Irish vat plus admin fee when it arrives here?

Other exporters in the U.K. should export without vat. So you’ll have to pay vat when it arrives (probably plus post “admin fee” of €10). It may not be worth while for some U.K. firms to set themselves up for export so we may find more limited choice.

That's not true, most UK companies that ship any kind of volume here have been reporting and paying Irish VAT for years.

Someone suggested the German Amazon site on AAM so I'm going to source through it. Unlike the French site, you can change the language on the German site to English. Some descriptions are still in German but we'll see how it works when I actually buy something.

I'm going to wait a few weeks for the dust to settle and I'll see what goodies are out there.

I'm going to wait a few weeks for the dust to settle and I'll see what goodies are out there.

I looked at a few items that I was buying in the run-up to Christmas. Similar prices, but €19 delivery charge for Ireland on a <2kg package smaller than shoe box.

Does anybody know if I will have to pay duty and VAT on a phone which is being returned to me from the UK . I returned the phone before Christmas and they are sending me a replacement. I can't find anything on Revenue.

Ber

Someone suggested the German Amazon site on AAM so I'm going to source through it. Unlike the French site, you can change the language on the German site to English. Some descriptions are still in German but we'll see how it works when I actually buy something.

I bought a tablet cover from amazon.fr after Christmas. I had tried and failed to buy from the UK and German sites, as the sellers (in China, I guess) said they couldn't deliver to Ireland due to Covid - their couriers wouldn't accept parcels for here.
The French package was delivered today, no problems with duty or additional charges.
Postage was higher than UK site, but not by much, and of course it's all priced in euro which helps.

I wasn't aware of this change, but @vandriver is correct. the €22 exemption is going away.
That website states that the changes come into effect on the 1st July 2021.

Revenue still quote the €22 limit with 0% VAT here - [broken link removed]

I have a €10 book coming from the UK next week so I'll find out what happens then.

Back