What Happens when you marry

D

Ditty

I applied as a single applicant, went through the whole process, finally bought an affordable house, a few years later I got married what happens next? Do I have to inform the council does it change anything, I would be grateful for any information thanks.

What Happens when you marry
Well - when a man and a woman are very much in love...

Oh - sorry...

I don't think that you have to inform the council about your change in circumstances but check the terms & conditions of the purchase agreement to be sure. You might want to inform Revenue though for income tax purposes and you can probably claim married owner occupier mortgage interest tax relief now.

Thanks for that, with the affordable housing I am only receiving the paperwork now to sign with my solicitor even though I am living in the house two years, will it matter that I am now married, does the house stay in my name or does the council take into account that we are married. Its confusing to say the least

Have you asked your solicitor these questions?

When you are married it matters not if the family home is in one spouse's name. And even if the mortgage is in one name you can claim married owner occupier mortgage interest tax relief.

Thanks for the reply, I have claimed tax relief since I bought the house 2 years ago, and I am paying mortgage for last 2 years but I will ask solicitor to clear up a few questions, cheers.

Back