What happened to pension from previous employment?

briancbyrne

Hi,

Apologies if this has been asked before.

I moved to my current position a year ago and prior to this I was paying into a pension through work. My current job does not have any pension provisions and I am considering starting one myself. Does anybody know what is my position re the pension fund I was previously paying into. (do I loose it or can I carry it over?) The company was an English based multi national with an office in Ireland, if that muddies the waters in any way?

Thanks

Re: pension question

pension question

Was the previous pension an occupational pension or a PRSA? You are normally presented with transfer options when leaving an occupational scheme (e.g. leave invested where it is for the moment, transfer to another occupational scheme - immediately or later on, transfer to a buy out bond immediately or later on, take a refund of personal/AVC contributions only less tax if you were in the scheme for less than 2 years). There is no reason why you would lose the benefits.

thanks - I got no info at all when leaving, but knowing what the HR dept was like, that is no surprise - Ill have to look into it with my previous emp.
Much appreciated.

Do you know what pension provider/company the scheme was with? Do you have a scheme booklet or annual statement?

If you do, just ring the company direct and they should be able to help. Give them your DOB and some other details and ask them to reissue the 'leaving service option' papers directly to you.

Back