What constitutes a Shebeen

john luc

With many reports lately of Gardai raiding what are called Shebeen's, I was wondering what actual law that is broken that decides whether a personnel home bar is one or not. I know many people that have built bars in their homes for their own personnel enjoyment and in pre covid times have had friends join them. Is their a specific law.

Yes.

Licensing law is very elaborate and convoluted.

I once knew a developer pay €2k for a senior counsel's opinion on whether the bar in the hotel he was building was not too long.

I was wondering what actual law that is broken that decides whether a personnel home bar is one or not.

I'm assuming you mean personal as I'm also assuming you are not employing people to run this 'bar'. :)

I would further assume that the exchange of monies for these drinks would be a major factor on the law breaking front, as you would not be licensed to retail intoxicating liquor.

A guard has to bring the charge to a court and the court has to decide what actual law was broken. is it only a breach of law if some form of payment is made

Back