What can be done about roads?

H

Henny Penny

One of my local county councillors has called a public meeting to discuss the state of a particular road in my area. The road in question is in a bad state of repair and generally needs upgrading ... widening, marking and resurfacing at a minimum.

My query is, what can this local representative actually do about the state of the road?
If a residents association was formed, can the group lobby the county council to upgrade the road? Will it make any difference?

I suspect that this is just a publicity stunt by the councillor to raise his profile.

Hi HennyPenny

We seem to share a lot of the same problems! If you have a councillor on your side, grab him. In my experience, it can be very hard to get them interested.

It's all about funding. What you need to do is to have it motioned at a County Council Meeting. Only a council membercan get this done and he needs to get another one to second it. Once it is on agenda, THEN the revelant measures and corresponding funding can be discussed but funding is probably already ringfenced for this year.

You can contact the relevant people in the council directly; probably Majella Hunt, Director of Services for Roads. Don't hold your breath. You need to have a bit of a thick neck, the reasonable approach won't get you far and you will probably find that phonecalls are not readily returned. Better to keep everything in writing. Copy all and sundry in other sections (there's a Road Safety Officer too, I think but I don't know her name).

Get the local papers on board. At least get it into the notes section.

I tried to get the Gardai to help me lobby the council on a dangerous road issue but while they agreed with me, they said they couldn't get involved unless there is an accident!!! I'm still reeling from that one.

To be honest, it's all very disillusioning and takes ages (as in years) and major pestering and you will probably be promised the sun moon and stars to little avail but I would still accept any help from a Councillor.

Best of luck with it
Rebecca

Roads

Thanks Rebecca for taking the time to reply ... unfortunately our councillors use issues such as roads as an excuse to score points off each other ... to the detriment ot the real issue. I have taken your suggestion and written to Ms Nolan ... I await her reply ... note: I'm not holding my breath!
I often wonder whether anybody really cares about roads and other issues in rural Ireland ... maybe they think dips and dangerous bends, lack of verges and markings are part of the rural charm!
Will keep you posted ... thanks again.

Back