What benefits are available for low income earner

No.1 Fan

Hello All

My brother is married with 4 children and his wife is a housewife, his salary is circa 27,600 per year and his tax credits are as follows :-

Personal Tax credit 3260
PAYE Tax Credit 1490
Flat rate expenses 16.20
Home Carers tax credit 770
Service charge relief 38
Total gross tax credits are 5574.20

What benefits if any would he be entitled to, would he be entitled to Family Income Supplement ? etc, he contacted the tax office and they advised that he has received the appropriate tax credits, so at this stage we are just anxious to know whether there is additional support available through social welfare.
Many thanks
No 1 Fan

With 4 children and a wife to support on that salary, I think he deserves a medal!! Look up the links Clubman gave, I'm sure he'll be entitled to something.

Certainly Family Income Supplement, back to school clothing allowance, fuel allowance and a full medical card. When he gets the medical card, his PRSI should change to a lower band.

Thanks to everyone for the info, much appreciated, hopefully he will be in a better position financially now especically with Christmas approaching.

A general tip is to draw up a budget, stick to it and live within one's means. This may mean scaling back the normal Christmas splurged to something that is more affordable.

Back