What are options if you are refused bankruptcy in NI? Can you appeal?

binchy

I am looking for some help or advice .
My wife and I and our 3 children moved from the south to ni 15 months ago.We have done all we thought we needed to established a COMI.
We hired and paid an established co(or so we thought) to help with this process.
Today we recieved a call from our solicitor in Belfast (our co passed on all our details to him)to say he will continue with our case but does not feel hopeful about our outcome.His reason is with our jurisdiction issues which he feels the judge in belfast will have a problem with.
I will briefly tell you our case.All our property in the south is gone either been reposssed or by voluntary surrender,included our family home.
I am unemployed and in receipt of unemployment assistance.My wife works part time and recieves tax credits.We recieve child benefit from the north also.
We live in rented accommadation and have all our ulility bills to prove this ;phones tv,electricity.
I have suffered from cancer since we moved and I am still recieving treatment.My wife and kids are patients at the local health centre and our children are recieving orthodontic treatment free.
We have our electoral cards.
We have no bank account in use as we both have post office accounts and this is all we use as we take out our cash every week.
Our only link with the south is that our children still go to school there(their school is only 10 miles away as we live on the border)
They will change schools in sept.
Any advice would be of appreciated to help us win our case.We are devastated with this news but we are also broke so we cannot even comteplate hiring someone else tohelp us.

Based on the information in your posting I would be very surprised if your application was refused.None of our clients have had their bankruptcy applications refused, and some of them would not have had the same COMI CV as you have.

I suggest that you ask your solicitor what specific issues he sees with your COMI, and then ask him how you should address them.

Jim Stafford

Back