What am I entitled to?

C

calin74

hi all

quick question

I am returning to Cork from the UK where I have worked for the last 7 years with my 4 yr old. I have recently split from my partner and at the moment not sure if he will support us!
I hope to get a job in Sept when my child starts school but in the mean time wonder if I will allowed to apply for either the dole or single parents?
I have never claimed before so I dont really know how the system works

Thanks for any info

Re: What am I entitled too?

hi all
quick question
I am returning to Cork from the UK where I have worked for the last 7 years with my 4 yr old. I have recently split from my partner and at the moment not sure if he will support us!
I hope to get a job in Sept when my child starts school but in the mean time wonder if I will allowed to apply for either the dole or single parents?
I have never claimed before so I dont really know how the system works
Thanks for any info

An aunty of mine did exactly that 3 or 4 yrs ago and it all worked out excellent for her and my cousin, she works 50% but gets money from somewhere (social welfare i presume) for the other 50%.
The whole move worked out well for her and she now has her own house and is delighted that she came back, her x husband did f-all for her and all.

thanks Slaphead, I'm sure it will all work out in time.

But for the moment I dont know what I will be entitled too as I havent worked in Ireland for a number of years and dont know how the system works.

I dont want to get assistance long term just until September and then I can work full time and get childcare, plan to be back March/April.
Would I be better off applying for unemployment benefit/assistance or lone parents? :confused:

Go to your local SW office and apply for One-Parent family allowance. Once your claim is lodged, you should be able to get Supplementary welfare Allowance from the local Community Welfare Officer while waiting for the OPFA claim to be investigated. If you are available and looking for work, you can claim dole as well. This might come through quicker than the OPFA adn anything you get on that will be offset against he arrears of OPFA. also, if you manage to get at least one week's work in this country and then get laid off, you can use the stamps you paid in GB to claim Unemployment Benefit, which is not means-tested adn can be paid at half-rate along with OPFA. But you msut hav ebeen last employed in irieland to claim that, as i said. Good luck!

FIS (Family Income Supplement) might be worth looking into - in the short or long term. You can claim if you have children and are working at least 19 hrs a week. If you qualify you get the FIS for a year - regardless of what happens to your income in that year. Minimum payment is 20 euro a week. The local Social Welfare office should have forms. Childcare can be expensive - so part time work might fit in better with the school times.

Back