What age is at risk if there is no underlying medical condition?

Other models suggested 60 percent of population would get infected. China has taken very extreme measures.

And the rates there are also only for people known to be infected. Many cases are mild and will not have been tested.

I think this lays out a lot of the factors and controversies related to disease, immunity and ageing, but it's probably tldr; for this forum?

I was surprised that a healthy young man like myself, aged only 62 1/2 , is deemed to be more at risk of serious illness.

You would not be considered a healthy young man at 62, in fact you are now elderly and in the high risk group should you catch this virus.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Saavy

What I was trying to establish was the difference between an elderly 60 something and and elderly 90 something.

I think that we established that earlier on in the thread.

The HSE's saying "people over 60 are at risk" isn't very useful.

Brendan

In Italy the median age of the 600 people in ICU is 65, more young people lately. They all have pneumonia resulting in acute respiratory failure. I hope the HSE have been stocking up on oxygen/ventilators. If we don’t have enough, it doesn’t really matter what age you are.

Many grand parents mind their grand children while their parents are at work. We have read that young children can carry illnesses that may be mild for the grand child but not so mild for the grand parent if passed on.
It can be difficult for the grand parent to say "no" to their children when asked to mind their grand child. As a result they may be putting themselves at risk. Older people are being asked to stay indoors as much as possible. But what happens if the children and grandchildren actually bring this virus in to their homes.

Is it not possible for the government to intervene here as I have no doubt that in the course of time creches will be closing down and more pressure will be put on grand parents to mind their grand children.
Could the government put in place a system where one parent might be allowed to take leave from work to mind children without compromising their job security and their present and future social welfare entitlements.

Could the government put in place a system where one parent might be allowed to take leave from work to mind children without compromising their job security and their present and future social welfare entitlements.
A mechanism already exists for this. It's called parental leave.

A mechanism already exists for this. It's called parental leave.
This is not always available. I think that the government could introduce some sort of system whereby employers would not lose out, maybe even cancel employers PRSI contributions. I am just throwing it out there.

Unsettling to read that in Italy those people aged under 65 may get first call on medical help ahead of those aged over 65.

We are being told that older people are at risk more so than younger people. Should grand children be kept in their own homes rather than their grand parents homes.

This is not always available. I think that the government could introduce some sort of system whereby employers would not lose out, maybe even cancel employers PRSI contributions. I am just throwing it out there.
Sorry, I must be misreading what you're saying.
If I take parental leave, I don't get paid so there's no employers PRSI due.
If the government need to bring in emergency measures, all that's needed is a change to the terms of the existing parental leave mechanism (e.g. increase qualifying age of children), rather than something completely new.

With creches and schools now due to close, will other family members including the, at higher risk grand parents, be expected to take up the child minding duties.

It seems strange that the HSE would post the above, about at risk groups, but not factor in where all the school children and infants will be minded or even put in place some sort of guidelines about this.

With creches and schools now due to close, will other family members including the, at higher risk grand parents, be expected to take up the child minding duties.

It seems strange that the HSE would post the above, about at risk groups, but not factor in where all the school children and infants will be minded or even put in place some sort of guidelines about this.
....sorry, was being unsympathetic

Last edited:

As small children don't get sick, even if they have the virus, they are far less likely than older people to give it to anyone else.

As small children don't get sick, even if they have the virus, they are far less likely than older people to give it to anyone else.
Can they not transmit it like anyone else Purple, even if they themselves don't get sick from it? I would have thought small children would be a big risk of passing it on given how they won't have same level of understanding of hand hygiene and cough etiquette as the rest of us.
We are keeping our children away from their grandparents right now.

Can they not transmit it like anyone else Purple, even if they themselves don't get sick from it? I would have thought small children would be a big risk of passing it on given how they won't have same level of understanding of hand hygiene and cough etiquette as the rest of us.
We are keeping our children away from their grandparents right now.
They are less likely to cough on people etc but yes, they do tend to be quite tactile.

I heard a report on the radio that the HSE is now saying that people aged 50+ are at risk.

I am not sure how useful that is. They do need to distinguish between 50+ and 90+

All ages are at risk - it's a matter of degree.

Brendan

Back