Westmoreland AIB

Dots1982

If you have a bank account with AIB Westmorland street which is now closed, do you keep the existing sort code when making a transfer to this account or do you change to the replacement bank on dame street?

If you have a bank account with AIB Westmorland street which is now closed, do you keep the existing sort code when making a transfer to this account or do you change to the replacement bank on dame street?
I opened my first ever bank account in AIB Westmorland St, amazing building, with those lovely ornate high ceilings. Probably better suited to its current usage for functions at the Westin, in fairness.

Thats just the mechanism some banks chose to convert account numbers to IBANs. You can just go round changing part of your IBAN because a building was sold.

Some day my ten-year old son will have a bank account with an IBAN.

Will he know that six of the digits related to the physical address of a branch once? No. Will he need to know? No.

So? He won't need to know his account number either since it is part of IBAN. Doesn't mean that Account Numbers are 'long gone'

Sort Codes still play a key part in payments infrastructure. They are not gone.

Your Iban is the sort code plus account number together.

It just has the International identifier plus check digits required for EU banking payments/Swift payments at the beginning.

My main bank accounts don't have sort codes involved in establishing their IBANs.
If you start deciding to use a different sort code, just because AIB sold a building and decide to use that as part of your IBAN, you'll find it won't be valid as the check sum won't work.

Back