Western Union: has anyone experiences good or bad?

Re: Western Union

I thought that their charges were high and that there were more cost effective ways of transferring money available?

I've used Western Union in the past, and it's quite painful. Not only are the charges high (about €60 to transfer a couple hundred to Africa) but I find their questions quite annoying. I should not have to prove my friend in Africa is my friend. I should be able to transfer my money without feeling like a criminal.

I now send a cheque in the post.

I've used Western Union in the past, and it's quite painful. Not only are the charges high (about €60 to transfer a couple hundred to Africa) but I find their questions quite annoying. I should not have to prove my friend in Africa is my friend. I should be able to transfer my money without feeling like a criminal.

I now send a cheque in the post.

I hope your friend is a friend and not a scammer, check out www.419eater.com. I just shudder everytime I here western union.

:)

Just because someone is from Africa doesn't mean they're a criminal...

True.

However, I do understand why someone would have questioned you. One of the most common frauds we see is the person sending money via Western Union to Africa - Holland - Spain etc etc, usually in response to 'winning a national lottery' - to arrange the collection of the 'winnings' the 'winner' is usually requested to send money to cover insurance/admininstration... you know what happens after that.

BM

P.S. - Not casting any doubts over Western Union itself, it's just the vechicle that the fraudsters use.

Judging by [broken link removed] Price Online Services feature their charges are pretty hefty alright. I'm pretty sure that there are much cheaper ways to transfer money.

Judging by [broken link removed] Price Online Services feature their charges are pretty hefty alright. I'm pretty sure that there are much cheaper ways to transfer money.

The prices on their website are normally out of date. The last time I used them there was a €20 difference between real and website price...

Back