Well Drilling

Sean2020

Hi folks,

Our house was built in the 70's and has always taken water directly from the lake beside it with no filtering. We're here 3 years, but we use the water for washing etc only and don't drink it for obvious reasons.

When we bought the house, I spent quite a while looking for someone to drill a well (we've been approved for the grant) to no avail. Any companies in Galway we contacted seemed to always to take the 1st call and then never get back to us. Any of the major drilling companies in Galway either seem to be very poor for contact or just don't want to do it (possibly have more profitable work on or something).

I've picked it up again now after seeing a house recently had a well drilled by a crowd in Kildare - I wouldn't have thought drilling companies would travel that far given the cost to move machinery etc and had never checked it before. I've called, and they've been very responsive so far and reckon they could have it done in the next month or so. I'm delighted to have someone who can do it, but feel like I should probably check around for other quotes from companies I wouldn't have thought to look at before.

So - any recommendations for drilling companies from anyone who's had positive experiences in the past?

Thanks in advance,
Sean

Not related to drilling but have you considered putting a filter system in place for your lake water?

The local authorities use lake water in the public supply & use water treatment so it can be used.

You could get the water tested & find out what you need to install, UV filter etc.

Might work out cheaper

There is quite a few established companies in the West kildare, East offaly area. I think its a sort of a tradition there and grown up through generations, they travel all over the country

Not related to drilling but have you considered putting a filter system in place for your lake water?

The local authorities use lake water in the public supply & use water treatment so it can be used.

You could get the water tested & find out what you need to install, UV filter etc.

Might work out cheaper
Thanks - we did look into this originally alright, but the quality of the water from the lake it's coming from currently was both too poor and too variable throughout the year to design a filtration system for. It's a very small bog lake. The grant for having a well drilled is also quite good (90% of the total or 5k) as there's no mains/water scheme close to here.

There is quite a few established companies in the West kildare, East offaly area. I think its a sort of a tradition there and grown up through generations, they travel all over the country
The crowd I'm in touch with are West Kildare alright - maybe it's best to just start calling companies around that area, but would be great if anyone had any specific recommendations as it can be quite a minefield and there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of public reviews out there.

Back