We need a "like" button on this forum.

bullworth

Isn't it Great!!!!!!!! to see the government getting some real teeth at long last, in this case one size fits all, if ya can't afford to pay ~ then suffer the consequences.

Shame they couldn't ~ can't ~ or never will deal with the people/criminals who got us into this mess in the first place or are they all one and the same. Makes you think!

we need a ''like'' button on this forum.

I'm a member on a forum that allows you to award a + (green) or a - (red) to any post. You can only green or red a post once. (The moderators can see who awards what to who - anyone found to be 'stalking' someone just to give them a negative 'rep' is warned and the facility to award greens/reds taken away from them. I didn't even realise that that kind of thing happened behind the scenes all the time until reading through an FAQ after four years of already using those forums.)

I do like it sometimes as sometimes someone else has already said what I might say and I can award a green in support without clogging up the board by repeating what has been said. I will say however, that if such a system were introduced which also allows a user to see how their reputation stands (i.e. cumulative amount of greens/reds) then it's esssential to have a thread for all those times when someone will start complaining about their rep.

I'm a member on a forum that allows you to award a + (green) or a - (red) to any post.

Ive seen this. I dont really see the point of it - lets face it, I dont care what any of ye think about what I have to say :) (ok, ok, Ill get my coat....)

This suggestion has been moved here from the HC forum.

*likes*

I had a feeling it would be moved :)

I think that a ''like'' button could remove a lot of what I think Brendan calls ''noise'' from the forum and could be worth experimenting with.
If people like something all they have to do is click ''like'' instead of regurgitating what someone else wrote. Neither do they have to write ''+1'' while quoting a post to make their feelings known. ''Liking'' a post says enough in my view without adding anything requiring extra moderation. Also ''liking'' a post is not in itself something which can bring accusations or libel etc onto the forum. So there would be less of people taking the ball and running with it in their own different directions and there would be less posts to moderate (in opinion related threads)

And a "Dislike " one, would be going one better than Facebook..

I'm not so sure. Most forums appear to have skipped the dislike button idea. I think perhaps it encouraged too much bitter argument or group bullying and is not as harmless as a ''like'' . It seems silly but thats human behaviour for you.

Is it just me or is it really noisy in here

bazer gets the point.

We try to keep askaboutmoney as clean as possible. No images. No icons. No avatars. In fact, even smilies are distracting :)

On some forums, you have to read through a whole pile of noise to find the actual question and answer.

Brendan

If I recall, we tried the "thanks" button that boards.ie uses but it seemed to clutter the forum a bit so was disabled again.

(it's okay, you don't have to thank me...or like this post!)

...the "thanks" button that boards.ie uses ...

Agree. It's horrible. While I do sometimes like being able to see that others have agreed with a post, I don't need to see a list under each post of who has 'thanked'. Much too cluttery. (I also like forums that restrict the use of smilies).

Yeah, please leave the smilies, I believe it annoys Brendan no end which ( due to my back of the classroom small mindedness) makes me like them all the more.:D Indeed I once made a post especially to use every smiley which gave me great satisfaction.;)

If I recall, we tried the "thanks" button that boards.ie uses but it seemed to clutter the forum a bit so was disabled again.

(it's okay, you don't have to thank me...or like this post!)

I had forgotten that. We implemented the thank you button against my better judgement but there was a clamour for its removal.

Brendan

Yeah, please leave the smilies, I believe it annoys Brendan no end which ( due to my back of the classroom small mindedness) makes me like them all the more.:D Indeed I once made a post especially to use every smiley which gave me great satisfaction.;)

Vanilla, I'm starting to worry about you now, you're nearly as bad/mischevious as meself but I think there's hope for either of us yet unlike
:p ;) :):eek:

Not_sure_if_serious.jpg

I can see that opinions vary especially from posters who hate to see it on screen.
If a like or thanks button was implemented, would it be possible for members who dislike it to completely block it so they never get to see it and even have this block enabled by default ? Thats probably the solution to implementing such a feature while keeping the greatest number of people away from unhappiness.

Back