Ways to pay utility bills.

pingin

I’ve been using Mybills.ie for ESB and Bord Gáis bills but that service is now closing down.

The bills for my rental house are in the landlord’s name. Can I open an online account in my own name with these providers and still pay the bills in his name?

Bills in a rental house should not be in the landlord's name.

However, I'm sure that the suppliers don't care who pays the bill as long as they are paid. I doubt that you could open an account and pay the bill if they are not in your name

Bills in a rental house should not be in the landlord's name.

However, I'm sure that the suppliers don't care who pays the bill as long as they are paid. I doubt that you could open an account and pay the bill if they are not in your name
He’s a very good landlord but I think you’re right. The sensible thing would be to have them in my own name.

The landlord may be reluctant to do that EDIT: [i.e. to have the accounts in the tenant's name]. If the tenant/account holder does a runner owing money to the utility company, it may prove difficult to get the account switched back to the landlord's name. Different utility companies have different rules for this apparently..

ESB/Bord Gais bills can be paid in any post office using cash/card, irrespective of the account holder's name once you have the bill which has a little lodgement slip at the end. The same is true for banks who may also take cheques, not sure about cheques in post offices any more with the "plastic lodgement bag" requirement for AIB cheques.

You could ask your landlord to register for ebilling with the utilities using your email address, you can then use your card(s) online to pay the bills and avail of 4.5% discount off the electricity (NOT the fixed charges worse luck) in the case of the ESB. You get the bills into your email account every two months. You will need to share the login details with your landlord so s/he can change the associated email address if you leg it owing money :) so maybe set one up specifically for the utility companies and [EDIT: desperate] :D seperate from you personal email addresses.

References to ESB mean Electric Ireland.

Last edited:
The landlord may be reluctant to do that. If the tenant/account holder does a runner owing money to the utility company, it may prove difficult to get the account switched back to the landlord's name. Different utility companies have different rules for this apparently..
I would have thought that if the account is in the landlord's name and the tenant does a runner, the utility company will pursue the landlord, as it will be seen as his\her debt? If the unpaid bill is in the tenant's name, the debt can follow them?

I would have thought that if the account is in the landlord's name and the tenant does a runner, the utility company will pursue the landlord, as it will be seen as his\her debt? If the unpaid bill is in the tenant's name, the debt can follow them?
This is true, but the landlord is in the loop can control their exposure. With the bill in the tenants name it could run for months with the landlord knowing nothing.

With shared access to the online billing account with details available to both parties, hopefully that circumstance cannot arise.

The landlord may be reluctant to do that EDIT: [i.e. to have the accounts in the tenant's name]. If the tenant/account holder does a runner owing money to the utility company, it may prove difficult to get the account switched back to the landlord's name. Different utility companies have different rules for this apparently..

ESB/Bord Gais bills can be paid in any post office using cash/card, irrespective of the account holder's name once you have the bill which has a little lodgement slip at the end. The same is true for banks who may also take cheques, not sure about cheques in post offices any more with the "plastic lodgement bag" requirement for AIB cheques.

You could ask your landlord to register for ebilling with the utilities using your email address, you can then use your card(s) online to pay the bills and avail of 4.5% discount off the electricity (NOT the fixed charges worse luck) in the case of the ESB. You get the bills into your email account every two months. You will need to share the login details with your landlord so s/he can change the associated email address if you leg it owing money :) so maybe set one up specifically for the utility companies and desperate from you personal email addresses.

References to ESB mean Electric Ireland.
Thanks for the detailed reply mathpec. It’s much appreciated. All sorted. I’m changing the bills to my name. I’m extremely lucky to have a very good landlord and we’re on friendly terms. He’s entirely happy with the arrangement. There’s mutual respect.

Back