Waterlogged Lawn

suzie

Hi there,

The lawn in my garden is heavierly waterlogged. From reading the web, it appears that core aerating might be my best method of eleviating the problem without having to add underground drainage.

Are these aerators readily available and has anybody first hand experience of using such a machine and the resulting outcome? Did it improve the problem?

Thanks

S.

Hi Suzie

Not sure about aerators, but we had a similar problem and were advised by a friend (horticulturist) to dig drainage pits into the lawn. This involved digging three big holes about 2m square and 4m deep and filling them with gravel then replacing over the lawn. Hard work but it seems to have done the trick!

Our soil was heavily compact for at least the top two metres and my understanding is that you have to get down beneath that to help the problem. I'm not really clued in on aerators though - sorry. Hope you solve the problem.

W

Unregistered said:
Hi Suzie

Not sure about aerators, but we had a similar problem and were advised by a friend (horticulturist) to dig drainage pits into the lawn. This involved digging three big holes about 2m square and 4m deep and filling them with gravel then replacing over the lawn. Hard work but it seems to have done the trick!

Our soil was heavily compact for at least the top two metres and my understanding is that you have to get down beneath that to help the problem. I'm not really clued in on aerators though - sorry. Hope you solve the problem.

W
Thanks,

Can I assume you used a small mechanical digger for those holes or did you do it the old fashion way as 4m is deep!!!

How big was your lawn to need 3 holes?

Back