Water Cylinder in Hot Press - Deteriorating?

TrundleAlong

The copper water immersion cylinder in my hot press is 27 years old. It has iridescent type patches covering the top shoulder area of the cylinder. I have been told that this suggests that the tank is deteriorating and needs to be replaced. Is this correct?

Thanks

At this point it owes you nothing, they do deteriorate over time, particularly if corrosion inhibitor levels are not maintained.

Leaks usually start as a little pinholes around the connectors

A new immersion might be a smaller capacity (energy save?) and take up less space in. It would be factory fitted with insulation layer which is very effecient, maybe a brownie point on a BER rating?

I replaced my copper cylinder about 6 weeks ago. Small pin hole leak. Replaced it with a stainless steel one. Got a 300 litre cylinder . Takes half the time to heat the water and holds the temperature for longer. If I hadn't the leak I wouldnt have thought to change it. Every cloud has a silver lining I guess

I wonder about the size of the cylinder needed. We have 3 bathrooms.....but there are only two of us in the house and we don't use the water that's in the tank, at the same time. Occasionally we might have our children staying over but the likelihood of us all needing hot water at the same time is slim. Just wonder do we really need a larger sized cylinder.

I wonder about the size of the cylinder needed. We have 3 bathrooms.....but there are only two of us in the house and we don't use the water that's in the tank, at the same time. Occasionally we might have our children staying over but the likelihood of us all needing hot water at the same time is slim. Just wonder do we really need a larger sized cylinder.
A larger tank will be less efficient and cost you more to run for your regular demand. If possible having an electric shower accessible to guests is an efficient way to heat water for occasional spikes in demand, particularly if you're using electricity to heat the tank in summer.

Back