Warmer Homes Scheme

mickeyg

My 90 year old mother's house was accepted into the above scheme. It is a 1960s house and typical of that era has little/no insulation and
overall is very cold and damp. She was "accepted" into the Scheme about 2 years ago and I understand that appointing a contractor for the work to be carried out usually happens about now i.e. 2 years after.
I'm wondering if anyone has had recent experience of this and if Covid has meant a delay in appointing a contractor and/or work being carried out.

Hi @mickeyg, I got an email yesterday saying they would be in contact and I was moved to the survey stage. Has work begun on your mothers house and did they carry out much work? I am middle aged and live with my Son who has downs so am anxious about what happens etc. and getting the house in order. Its an end of terrace council house built in the 50's. I'm unable to direct message as I don't have enough posts.

Shalom, good news that you are officially "in the process". Mine started with a BER assessor which as I expected had the lowest BER rating possible because of the age of the house, lack of insulation etc. This was followed by a surveyor visit which resulted in a formal report to the SEAI detailing the surveyor's recommendations in order to bring the house up to an acceptable BER rating. Once this is done they, SEAI, allocate a contractor from their approved list to carry out the work. The main contractor then appoints sub contractors to undertake the various work some of which also he will do himself. From the surveyors report to the allocation of the contractor can take 2/3 months. My contractor was allocated about 2 months ago and so far vents have been added to the roof and walls and a new condensing boiler installed. Next stage is getting replacement for the very poor timber windows which is proving somewhat problematical as the prices being charged by sub-contractors would appear to be far greater than the amount SEAI allocate for same. Once this is done, whenever that might be, the insulation will be put in and the external wall dry-lining.
Any more detailed questions - ask away!

Reactions: Leo
Hi mickeyg, Thanks for the reply and a very informative one. there seems to be very little information around on the internet from people who have been accepted. I will get back on to you again if I think of anything else. Thanks very much again and good luck with your and I hope you get the windows sorted.

Back