Want to start a pension that allows me to choose...

L

Lisa

I'm self-employed. My accountant advises me that I should invest around 5k in a pension before the looming Ros deadline day to bring down my tax bill, which I've agreed to.

However, I'm keen to get control over what assets my new pension is invested in -- especially given the banks' track record!

A friend told me that what I'm looking for is a Self-directed pension. I downloaded the relevant Zurich Life brochure, but it looks like this pension may be for people with large sums to shelter?

Can anyone give me some independent advice? I'm truly a pensions beginner ... yet I still want to be in control! :)

IMHO you should only contemplate the Self-Directed route if you have about €250K ready to invest.

You can 'control' the funds you invest in with any PRSA or Personal Pension that you might put in place.

For the level of contribution you mention, a low-cost PRSA may be best for you.

If you need advice, expect to pay a contribution charge of 3% - 5% (of any amount you invest) and an Annual Management Charge of 1% pa of funds under management.

If you don't need advice you can buy a PRSA online with just the 1% AMC

GS

Thanks GS, much appreciated. Can you recommend a PRSA that I can buy online?

Lisa

[broken link removed]

No sure, but I think you can select the funds to be invested in.

[broken link removed]

No sure, but I think you can select the funds to be invested in.

According to this [broken link removed] Rabo charge 2% per contribution for an execution-only service. There are several brokers on the Discount Brokers thread on Askaboutmoney who offer 0% per contribution for execution-only PRSAs.

Hi Lisa,

I too am self employed and have my own limited company. I'm just about to start an Executive Pension with Zurich called Dual Save Pension.

The charging structure is good. There are no upfront charges from your premiums. 100% is invested. The only charges are 1% per annum management charge of the fund plus €9.50 per annum pensions board fee.

Minimum annual premium is €1200 or €100 per month and minimum single premium (ad hoc lump sum payments) are €5000.

Hope this helps,
JT.

I am self employed also and have had an account with Quinn Life which I have found ok. Its execution only

Back