Want to sell house with tenant - options now?

Setanta12

Hi All

Is it possible to notify a sitting tenant that we intend to serve notice to quit at earliest opportunity when the law allows? Could this be miscontrued at forcing an eviction?

Their advantage - gives them extra notice to find another place (time being from notification to date of ultimate notice period).

Our advantage - they may vacate earlier allowing quicker sale.

You can issue a notice of termination on the grounds that you intend to sell the property at any time after 1 August 2020.

Be very careful to comply with the relevant formalities, including the requisite sworn declaration and giving the appropriate notice period.

Thanks Sarenco. As today is 31 July is this impacted by the Bill going through the Dail yesterday and today? (Cannot easily google this myself)

I had intended sending a letter to the tenants telling them that their statutory rights and rights per any relevant guidelines are unaffected by the letter but that we would intend giving notice at earliest opportunity.

No, the Bill (which has now been passed by the Dail) will have no impact on your ability to issue a notice of termination on the grounds that you intend to sell the property at any time after 1 August 2020.

I wouldn't bother sending your tenants the suggested letter. Just send them the formal notice of termination next week - if your tenants want to leave early they can contact you.

Again, I would emphasise that you need to be very careful to comply with the necessary formalities in issuing the notice.

Back