Walked out (emigrated) on joint mortgage in 2014, coming into inheritance soon

Status
Not open for further replies.

pauliesbowl

Hello,
I emigrated in 2014 leaving a joint mortgage here, the other person in the mortgage entered into a PIA.
I have not made contact or heard anything from the bank since.
I returned around 2019 and my sole parent is not expected to be alive for much longer and is trying to leave me a property but is afraid that the bank will take it.

Would anyone have any suggestions where to start?
Thank you for reading.

Call the lender and tell them that you can now repay the mortgage by selling an inherited property.

Am I missing something?

I hope you are not suggesting that the rest of us should pay your debts for you?

Brendan

Last edited:
Call the lender and tell them that you can now repay the mortgage by selling an inherited property.

Am I missing something?

I hope you are not suggesting that the rest of us should pay your debts for you?

Brendan
I think you're probably missing the fact that people try and minimise their liabilities instead of maximising them.
I entered into a contract with a private entity not you or "us" and some of terms of that contract included provisions for discharging the debt which is what I'm seeking to do.
I thought this was a forum for information like that , I had no idea you were overlaying your personal sense of morality on the issue and using it to filter the information that could be provided.

Last edited:
You are the reason why 300,000 people are paying the highest mortgage rates in the eurozone.

Because they have to pay for the likes of you who refuses to pay your mortgage when, clearly, you can.

Brendan

Honouring my debt would be the first place I'd start or is that not an option in your eyes??
I'd rather escape said debt if possible, good for you though that you wouldn't.
You are the reason why 300,000 people are paying the highest mortgage rates in the eurozone.

Because they have to pay for the likes of you who refuses to pay your mortgage when, clearly, you can.

Brendan
You're mistaking me for the government your generation voted in.

Wow! You bought a house with a mortgage when you under 18!
I was 18 when I got offered a 100% mortgage after working in construction for a few months.

And again, there were no terms in my mortgage saying that the Irish taxpayer would be liable in the event of a default on my behalf.
Well at least I can walk into any room with my head held high and my good name intact
Can You?????
Yeah didn't think so!!
Something tells me that if you could do that you wouldn't be posting nonsense on here trying to belittle me in an attempt to get me to adhere to terms of a contract that I never agreed to.

Something tells me that if you could do that you wouldn't be posting nonsense on here trying to belittle me in an attempt to get me to adhere to terms of a contract that I never agreed to.
I can and I do but would one of the terms you "never" agreed to be the repayment element of the mortgage contract ??

I think you're probably missing the fact that people try and minimise their liabilities instead of maximising them.
You’re not really trying to minimise your liabilities - you are simply try to welsh on a debt you have already incurred.

I think your parent is right to be worried that your creditors will come after the inherited property to recoup their losses.

One option for your parent might be to leave the property to a designated charity, while giving you a right of residence during your lifetime.

You have a credit rating issue which needs to be addressed. Reaching a deal with the bank is probably the best way to resolve that issue.

If the property has not been taken over by the bank and sold, it still has your name still on it. The bank could theoretically still foreclose and/or come after you for the outstanding debt.

If the bank gets wind that you become the owner of property (by inheritance), there is the possibility of their obtaining judgement against you and registering that judgement against your inherited property as a mortgage.

I am really sorry to hear they are not going to be around much longer, and are trying to put their affairs in order. Do you live with your parent.

What are the options if your parent dies and leaves you the house? Are you planning to sell or live in it? If the do not leave you the house will your circumstances change at all?

You clearly have an unpaid debt with the bank which will not go away until you resolve it. Would it be fair to say that you have made no attempts to deal with this since 2019, when you returned to Ireland. What Does your parent want to help you resolve the debt issue? It does sound like an opportunity to put you affairs in order and move on with your life. You partner from 2014, what do they say?

Thank you.
Would you have any sort of an idea of what sort of deals they've been making?
The property was repossessed and sold with a total deficit of potentially 250k.

Would you or anyone reading this have an idea of how judgements work and if there's legal ways to negate them?

Thank you.
Yes I live with my parent and I'm planning to live there if they successfully leave it to me. If they don't leave it to me I'll have to find other accommodation like everyone else I suppose.
Yes I have made no attempts to deal with the issue hoping that the Statute of Limitations might apply and that the debt might go away and yes my parent really wants me to have the house and resolve the issue.
I have not spoken to my partner of the time since then. They went through PIA and I don't think they'd be bothered discussing the issue with me anyway tbh.

have not spoken to my partner of the time since then. They went through PIA and I don't think they'd be bothered discussing
To be honest, this is the element of your actions I really dislike; lots of folks go through hard times, people have handed back the keys of their home, or gone bankrupt.

In my experience most people do their best, even if it doesn't always measure to the high standards of posters here...

But you welched and left someone else pick up the pieces.

At the very least, go and make amends for your behaviour.

Yes, yes, and yes.

But I have zero intention of helping you.

And from someone who loves helping people out, that’s quite the position to take.
Yes it seems rather extreme to me tbh especially seeing as I'm not even quite sure what the issue is?
I signed a contract with a private entity and in it were contained terms to cover every eventuality, one of which being my inability to meet the repayments which is a circumstance I found myself in then and may or may not have found myself in again depending on how it's assessed.
My only intent is to follow the law and the terms of the contract I signed yet you seem to have a significant issue with this?

Status
Not open for further replies.