Walk in Foreign Currency Service.

Laramie

My own Ulster Bank branch no longer sells FX currency. I have to visit another branch in Dun Laoghaire apparently.

Thinking of going on a trip to Switzerland when the madness ends. I always like to have a couple of hundred of the local currency in my back pocket.

Are there any branches of any bank where I can walk in off the street and buy this currency using Euro?

Changing at Airport is worst value, from reading reports in papers over the years. You should be able buy over the counter in any high street bank (that has them in stock).

AIB allow you to order online and then collect at a branch. Most banks are not holding a stock (beyond perhaps £ and US $) at your average branch as the demand isn't there

Haven't need some foreign currency in a while unfortunately but last few times I used Fexco and Credit Union, if you have an account at a CU you can order the currency online at Fexco and collect next day in CU. No bank holds anything outside the USD/sterling these days for walk in sales and even that is risky to depend on.

Why not use REVOLUT and benefit from the interbank rate? You get up to 200 euro w/drawal free with them, tho you might have to stump up local bank charges.

ATM on arrival is the way to go
Since the pandemic, cashless is the preferred way to go over here (Switzerland). Even by 90 year old mother-in-law has gone cashless and I have not been to an ATM in 18 months, still have about 80 francs of the last 100 I took out.

The ATM on arrival is a good option and most businesses will accept Euros at reasonable rates. A lot of their business expenses will be paid in Euro in any case, so it is not a big issue. It‘s not unusual for private citizens here to have both Euro and Franc accounts.

Back