Waiting period for Ombudsman's office determination.

M

mercman

Just a note to advise those that may be thinking of using the services of the FSOB, prepare yourself for a long wait. I'm reliably informed that after receipt of any case details & papers, there is a wait from 6 to 9 months.

I have a complaint with the Ombudsman at the moment.

My initial complaint was made 11 months ago.

3 month ago the Ombudsman acknowledged that all submissions and documentation from both parties has been received, and this complaint has now been queued for investigation and adjudication.

I recently enquired when a decision would be made and was told it was still in the queue and a decision would be another 2/3 months.

From the Ombudsman own report ;
Ombudsman finds fully for the consumer only 12% of the time !
Ombudsman finds partly for the consumer 13% of the time !
........................................................................................................
I find it strange that only 1 in 8 complaints are fully upheld .
Think about you; the complainant;
You have been stressed through the internal complaints.
You got an unsatisfactory result {you think}
You are still prepared to fight.
Yet only 12% upheld ?
eg in Uk it is nearer 80%!

Hi Gerry,

I find it strange too.

I think I have been wronged and yes I am prepared to fight as far as the Ombudsman.

I accept I might be wronged again by an unfavourable decision from the Ombudsman. I am optimistic though, but even if he doesn’t find in my favour, it has cost me nothing and at least I have the satisfaction of knowing I did my best and kept the providers compliance department busy.

Can you suggest a free alternative to the Ombudsman ?

There are several options that go from Zero to ?.
Depends on what your complaint refers to.

Give me a short note on complaint type and i will, I hope suggest a route.
There is a lot to be said for narking compliances yourself!!

Too late for me Gerry.

The Ombudsman’s ruling is legally binding, subject only to an appeal to the high court within 15 days.

In my case, even if he does not rule in my favour, my battle is over as I do not have the means nor does the amount involved in my complaint warrant high court action at my expense.

But for the benefit of others who have a grievance and are reluctant to go the Ombudsman route because of the low percentage of rulings in favour of the consumer, what are the free alternatives ?

Can you give some examples and the success rates ?

Thanks.

twofor1;

It is very disappointing that consumers who had faith in Ombudsman (like yourself) are let down by the system.

One option is The Small Claims Court , for 35 euro you get a good hearing.
I have had 3 local wins BUT the consumer still needs advice from me (hence cost).
What I have done is let the consumer do the claim (prompted by me) , either on a flat fee or %.
A bit messy but the plus point is, if consumer wins , the Bank takes the cost and risk of an appeal.
If consumer loses , no great cost to him.

To cover me I charge flat fee 200 or 25% of a successful claim

My e-mail [email protected]
Mobile 0872437139.

I will talk with customer first to ensure there is a viable case.

One option is The Small Claims Court , for 35 euro you get a good hearing.

The small claims court is very limited, whereas the maximum amount that might be resolved is a mere €2000.00.

Personally I'm unable to see the point in paying 10% of the maximum possible amount, especially as it is quite easy to lodge a claim with the Small Claims Court.

Most claims that are brought to the Ombudsman are far in excess of €2,000

twofor1;

It is very disappointing that consumers who had faith in Ombudsman (like yourself) are let down by the system.

The Ombudsman has not yet ruled in my case, if he does find in favour of the provider, so be it, I might or might not feel let down, depending on his reasons, but I have not lost faith in the Ombudsman, nor do I feel let down by the system.

As I said previously, I do find it strange the low number of cases where the Ombudsman finds in favour of the consumer, but there could be legitimate reasons for that.

Possibly the UK Ombudsman has more stringent acceptance criteria, which would weed out unreasonable complaints.

I’m sure there are numerous more possible reasons. If I had a spare week I would look at both Ombudsmen’s annual reports in detail, no doubt I would find more explanations for the difference.

Anyway until someone can suggest a free or affordable alternative, most with a complaint in excess of €2K have no alternative other than the Ombudsman and if they genuinely feel wronged, they should complain to the Ombudsman, they have nothing to lose.

twofor1;

If you check Brendans posts you will find he has Reviewed his opinion of the Ombudsman.
Your faith in Ombudsman now flies in the face of Ombudsmans own statistics.
From my 2 years at watching ppi claims, , our Ombudsman normally finds for providers and it is (buyer beware) for consumers.
In The UK most providers payout on ppi before it gets to Ombudsman , so his finding for customers would suggest ( rightly I believe) that it is up to Regulated Providers to sell well , rather than consumer have to 100% check items.
There is no doubt there are differences twix here and Uk , but NOT a lot.

I know the 2,000 limit is small but in ppi cases it covers a fair few.

Not only have I little faith in Ombudsman but I have less faith in his cousin MR CENTRAL BANK!

If you check Brendans posts you will find he has Reviewed his opinion of the Ombudsman.

Hi Gerry, I’m puzzled.

What has Brendan’s reviewed opinion got to do with my opinion ?

Your faith in Ombudsman now flies in the face of Ombudsmans own statistics.

My latest complaint to the Ombudsman has just been fully upheld.

The provider has been directed to return the disputed amount and I have also been awarded a small amount in compensation.

That’s two cases I have now taken, both have been fully upheld by the Ombudsman, statistically 100% for this consumer.

I will wait a few weeks before posting any details, just in case it’s appealed.

Twofo1;
I wasn,t trying to foist Brendans modified opinion onto you, what I was highlighting was that Brendans opinion is valued and if he has (doubts) we are all advised to take note .
Delighted you were successful , as you say 100% for you,.
....................................................................................................................
From the Ombudsman own Statistics, Your success is not the norm.

So congratulation , but my (distrust) of Ombudsman statistically stands.

Back