W-9 form

Guru

I have dual citizenship (Ireland/USA).

I am Irish, born in Ireland to Irish parents. I have lived in Ireland all my life.

I see on AIB share dealing FAQ's information regarding the W-9 form.

"All US persons must complete a W-9 form prior to being set up as an AIB Online Share Dealing client. A US person is defined as a US citizen, married to a US citizen, holder of a US passport or Green Card, or born in the US. This is an IRS requirement. If applicable, this form must be completed prior to set up."

While these parts clearly refer to me "A US person is defined as a US citizen", "holder of a US passport", would it be required in practice for my particular circumstance?

Thanks.

Wherever you see reference to W-9 form the W-8BEN can also be provided to confirm your exemption from U.S. tax.
In reality, AIB would only know to ask for it if some of the identification documentation you provided to them indicated it, e.g. a U.S. passport copy. If all the ID docs you provide are irish they really wouldn't even know to ask you for a W-9 (common problem where in some U.S. tax legislation a U.S. person could be someone who is entitled to hold a U.S. passport, but if they don't actually hold one, no-one would ever know a W-8 might be required)

So in answer to your question nothing may not be required if your ID docs are all Irish, and if something is required, assuming you're not liable for U.S. tax then it's a W-8 form that you provide to confirm your exemption.

Back