VW Passat 01 1.9TD lot of trouble

M

megz

We have a 01 VW Passat. Have had nothing only trouble with it. Problems with suspension, cracked turbo, had to replace air flow metre. I could go on. Anyone else experience any problems? Only 73,000 miles on clock.:mad:

Air mass meter failures are common on VAG engines so i would not be too bothered about that. Also earlier models of passat were known to have troublesome suspension, control arms failing etc but I thought that this was under control with later models past year 2000.
Alas turbo failure is also not that uncommon on VAG diesels though normally on higher milage than yours.

Have you had the car from new? Is the mileage genuine? If so I'd just say you are unlucky but remember where volkswagens have finished in surveys like the JD Power ones over the past few years.

Their reputation for relability has plummeted a lot in but Joe public still pays premium money for it. I personally know three people who had to replace gearboxes in 2 bora's and 1 Golf, two had under 50,000 miles on them and the other had 70,000.

Then again I had a Mark 3 golf many years ago and sold it to my brother with 110,000 miles on it. It's now got 160,000 and still going strong. Nothing replaced except normal wear and tear items. It was always serviced on button every 10,000 miles.

baz05 said:
It was always serviced on button every 10,000 miles.
A 'must' with any diesel car. At least it's cheaper/less frequent than with a petrol engine...

Sorry I can't offer any advice on the specific problems you mention!

I have an 01 passat tdi sport 73k miles so far. It got a new air flow sensor when I bought 18 months ago as the dealer had knicked to get another one out.

Touch wood I have had no problems I have to say I am very happy so far.

What problems with suspension?
What other problems have you had?

Thank you for your reply Frank.

Maybe I'm just unlucky with my car, it's the first VW I've driven. I'm not exactly sure of the correct name for them but I have had four suspension ?arm things replaced and I was told that there were four of these at the front of car and four at the back and that the other four would need to be replaced shortly. There was also a hole in turbo. The symptoms of this were that the car was chucking, like the car was kind of pulling back and then letting go while I was driving. I have also had to replace boot lock and it's on it's way out again (I have to make about three or four attempts to close it at the moment). Also window washers not working and there is water in the washer bottle. Somebody told me that because it was such a heavy car (over 2 tonne in weight, ? 2.5 tonne) that it put extra strain on suspension. I don't know if that's true or not. I think it's a gorgeous looking car with great take off but I have been turned against it because of the problems I've had with it. I hope you have more luck with yours.

Were the suspension arm things bushes?

The washer water could happen to any car, maybe a blocked pipe, a loose pipe, a loose connector or a fuse. Open the bonnet and listen for a pump when the washer switch is on.

Had the same problem with a 99 Passat I had a few years ago. Only had it for 4 months and literally cost me thousands. As in your case suspension trouble, fuel guage not working, temp guage not working, wipers not working even the diesel latch ( which is on a motor ) and numerous other small problems which proved expensive

Found that when one thing went everything else was just queing up to go. Get Rid now or it will cost you big money !! Seemingly newer models are better but I would never ever ever touch a volkswagon again.

Have a look at .

Thank God there's somebody else out there who has had similar experiences to mine with VW Passat. I am getting rid of it a.s.a.p. I would never ever buy one again either. I feel like I'm working to support a car. It has cost me thousands as well, no sooner is one thing fixed and there's something else wrong with it, very delicate car.

Thank you for your reply, I was beginning to think I was just unlucky with my one.:D

Back