VRT - biofuel exemption

howareya

Has anyone heard anything about the 50% exemption from VRT if your car was manufactured with the capability of running in biofuel.

This was brought in, in last budget. I have rang a number of VRT offices and they don't know the ins and out's of it.

i also went to local TD who tried getting more info on it. He wasn't successful either. He then sent in a Parliamentary Question (PQ) to dail and he's suppose to get a reply within 14 days but as yet he hasn't received anything back.

We're talking about saving alot of money here. As everyone is aware VRT can cost 000's depending on the car. This could save alot of money.

Is that not the same 50% exemption from VRT if the car is a "green" car i.e. importing a Toyota Prius from the UK would result in the owner having to pay only 50% of the VRT on the vehicle??

in anything i have read i haven't seen the ter 'green' anywhere. biofuel is the term used

No, the term "green" isn't used, but what I read would encompass biofuels in addition to other initiatives used to reduce carbon monoxide emissions. For specific information in relation to the various reliefs and exemptions from VRT, I would have thought your first port of call would be the VRO.

Believe me I have gone down that avenue. I actually rang numerous times. Because it was only brought out this year they aren't that clued up about it but the fact that it is now nearly June thant excuse should be gone out the window.
The problem is, is that there are various types of biofuels. No-one actually knows what specific types allow for the exemption

I've been chasing this for about two months now. its rediculous.

That's very strange alright especially considering the fact that Bus Eireann announced some time ago that it was to pilot the use of biofuel on part of its fleet in Cork city. Surely they would have researched this aspect of such an investment and how it would improve their margins i.e. the reliefs and exemptions available on VRT for vehicles capable of running biofuel?

Bus Eireann is a state owned and heavily subsidised company and vehicles for public transport are not under the VRT regime. So why should Bus Eireann bother to investigate? All they want is more subsidies to change the engines to run on plantoil. Jobs for the friends who would pay donations to politicans who then in turn wouldn't mind to leave the monopoly in the hands of those who're incompetent to run a propper public transport system in a more privatised market....It's called a monopoly, sometimes refered to "mafia".

Back