Voluntary Redundancy - what would you do ???

Crazychick

What is the pension position? If he has a very attractive defined benefit pension scheme, then it would be a factor towards staying.

No job is reliable anymore and if your husband can get around €90k net, then it's hard to beat this offer. If the company's financial position is precarious, then getting out now sounds good.

It might be his dream job, but, at worst, he will get a few years at home with the kids. Not too bad either.

If the company recovers after a few years, he may well get his job back.

Brendan

the company is in a perilous position and the chance of compulsory redundancies in the next year or so is a real possibility. Obviously statutory redundancy would be a fraction of the package being offered now.
Just to clarify, compulsory redundancy does not necessarily mean statutory only. There could well be further redundancies down the road with the same deal on the table, though of course there is no guarantee of this.

What are his chances of getting another job? What are his skills? What is the job market like in his area?

Dave, no he doesn't have Civil Service status - any employees who joined the company after 1984 don't have that. Like Kbie, my DH only paid a "D" PRSI contributions and we got confirmation today that he wouldn't be entitled to any SW benefits at all.

Hmmm, very good point Complainer, never thought of that. Its quite possible they could offer a couple of extra weeks on top of statutory. And if they don't, well at least he will have got another year of two of employement out of it.

Brendan, I had to google a defined benefit pension scheme (!) and my dh has that alright. Because he won't be entitled to any SW, the possibility of him staying home to mind the kids has gone out the window now. He would have to look for a job straight away.

Being self employed, this offer amazes me! Being offered 100K to NOT work - wow! I'd take it like a shot and go contracting the next day.

Why not search for another job while he's 'thinking' about it?

100K = 2.5 years salary. It sounds a lot but wouldn't last long if you had to live on it for any length of time.

Back