Voluntary Redundancy 4 months ago, never signed on.

Coordinated

I took voluntary redundancy from my old company 4 months ago. At the time I expected to get new employment fairly quickly. This did not happen and now four months later I am still unemployed. So far I havent signed on but intend doing so now. I am confident that I will be employed in the next few weeks.

My question: Will I lose out on social welfare benefits (in my new employment) because I havent been making PRSI contributions over the last few months?

Do you (automatically?) get PRSI credits while on Jobseekers Benefit/Allowance? I know that you can make Voluntary Contributions while not in employment that covers PRSI automatically but it's relates to long term benefits only.

Have you tried signing on now and asking about backdating your claim and, if applicable, any entitlement to PRSI credits? If you are entitled to Jobseekers Benefit/Allowance then you really should claim it - especially Benefit since you have paid for it through PRSI.

I took voluntary redundancy from my old company 4 months ago. At the time I expected to get new employment fairly quickly. This did not happen and now four months later I am still unemployed. So far I havent signed on but intend doing so now. I am confident that I will be employed in the next few weeks.

My question: Will I lose out on social welfare benefits (in my new employment) because I havent been making PRSI contributions over the last few months?

From www.welfare.ie:-

"(c) Late Claims

A claim may be backdated for a maximum of 6 months where the person can prove to the satisfaction of the Deciding Officer or Appeals Officer that s/he satisfied the qualifying conditions throughout the period and that there was good cause for delay in making the claim. See also separate guideline "Claims and Late Claims" on Late Claims."

If your claim is successful you will get credits for the period you have been unemployed. If not, they'll begin if you sign on, or if you don't sign on, from when you start your new job. It's not clear if you have actually got a new job or are just hoping to. Better to sign on anyway as it keeps your credits up-to-date while you are out of work.

Our company had advisors meet with anyone considering a voluntary redundancy package. The first piece of advice given :
anyone who leaves should immediatly present themselves at their local S.W. office as this is equivalent to a prsi payment. Whether they qualify for any payment was not the immediate issue, but just to appear seems to be very important. I know its too late for the OP but it might help others

The first piece of advice given :
anyone who leaves should immediatly present themselves at their local S.W. office as this is equivalent to a prsi payment.
Is this true and what, if any, PRSI credits does one get while on Jobseekers Allowance/Benefit? The info did not jump out at me on the SW site.

Back