volkswagen lupo

Don't. They made a low volume GTI which was fun however.

If you really want a V.W. a Polo is miles better in every respect.

Otherwise buy a 1.25 16v Fiesta. Better to own and drive imho.

I have one. Great car, suprisingly big on the inside, everyone thats in it says its almost the same as a polo on the inside with almost as much room. I have had no trouble so far and its not expensive to run and you are still getting the reliability of a VW.

According to Honest John (hope I'm allowed do this?)

What's Good
High build quality. 11' 7" long by 5' 5" wide. Same car as Seat Arosa, built at Wolfsburg, with cute front-end styling, much nicer interior, twin airbags, height-adjustable driver's seat and steering wheel as standard. Formed basis of '3-litre car' - capable of 100kms on three litres of petrol, equal to 94 mpg. 1.4s have new twin-cam 16v engine. 1.7SDI charming, economical and not too slow - a far better bet than the 1.0 litre petrol version. 100 bhp 1.4 16v Sport from September '99. 75 bhp 1.4 direct injected diesel option. Lupo FSi with direct injected petrol engine giving 105 bhp and 56 mpg shown at 1999 Frankfurt Show. Lupo did well in German TUV/Auto Bild front offset crash test. Four-Star NCAP crash safety rating. Six speed gearbox and alloy body panels for 125bhp Lupo GTi at no extra cost from mid 2001. Now does 127mph, 0-60 in 8 seconds. Price of base model 1.0 cut to £6,995 in April 2002. Both 1.7SDI and 1.4TDI emit 119g/km CO2, so qualify for reduced £80pa VED from April 2002. VWs generally had below average warranty repair costs in 2003 Warranty Direct Reliability index (index 76.83 v/s lowest 31.93). Link:- www.reliabilityindex.co.uk

Road test Lupo v/s Arosa www.honestjohn.co.uk/road_tests/index.htm?id=10

Brief test VW Lupo GTi 16v 6-speed at www.honestjohn.co.uk/road_tests/index.htm?id=31
What's Bad
Prices higher than Seat Arosa. Power steering a £450 option on 1.0 litre base model. 1.0 litre horribly, painfully slow. Problem of breather pipes failing on 1.4S models built in 2001. VW modifying the part. Below minus 8 degrees centigrade, condensation in sumps of 1.0 and 1.4 engines emulsifies and blocks crankcase breather pipe leading to lack of engine lubrication and engine failure. Plastic timing belt tensioners of 1.4 16v engines now failing regularly, though fortunately the belts are rarely flung off when this happens.
What to Watch Out For
See above. Quite common for doors to drop on their pins.

Btw, it's a myth that VW's are that reliable.

Gabriel said:
According to Honest John (hope I'm allowed do this?)

Btw, it's a myth that VW's are that reliable.

Agreed. They are better than Alfa, Fiat, Citroen, Renault, & Rover for example imho. On a par with Ford and Opel.

Golf's hold their value very well even if they are not the best cars in the class.

Problems with coil packs on bigger petrol engines. Same as some Audi's. Be wary.

I like the look of those Tourags, but don't know much about them.

Back