Vodafone Mobile Broadband for Free to Air TV channels

elcato

Does anyone use Vodafone Mobile (Fibre not available yet apparently) for streaming live TV in the Dublin region ? Just wondering is it fast and reliable enough for live stream ? I need to cut ties with VM at this stage with their constant rises.

I think you really need to try a test of it in your specific location using say RTE player or VM player to see how it goes.

I've had different experiences between different parts of Dublin 3/5.

In D5 I've had the connection drop occasionally but not in D3. The speed was ok.

Is saorview/Freesat an option? Decoupling TV from your internet might give you greater choice in terms of internet provider.

Free To Air channels don't require internet. They are received by satellite without subscription. You will need a set top box if your TV doesn't have a satelline receiver built in.

If you put your eircode into this broadband checker it will tell you what internet products you can get - https://www.eir.ie/broadband/coverage-map/ (I'm not endorsing Eir).

If you can get internet over your landline then Vodafone do a €35 per month deal where you get broadband and Always On (you can still access the internet via mobile data internet backup).

Free To Air channels don't require internet. They are received by satellite without subscription. You will need a set top box if your TV doesn't have a satelline receiver built in.
Er, and a satellite dish.

As to the original question, I wouldn't really depend on wireless broadband other than as a stopgap between wired providers. Did that and was glad to get back to wired. Maybe 5G is better, I was using 4G.

If you put your eircode into this broadband checker it will tell you what internet products you can get
Yep - Did that and no fiber as yet for my address and no landline which is why I asked specifically about the wireless product. Thanks for the feedback.

I have Vodafone top up broadband 20 euro for 28 days. Speed is limited to 10mbps both ways. Unlimited data. for my summer house prefect. Cover is very good 4 bars on lte. Speed in my area is always good around 7mbps plus at slow times and full 10mbps most the times. Enough to stream Netflix and HD shows aldo not 4k very well at lot of buffering. It's the trade off with cheap cost. Some ports/DNS look ups are blocked on it. This seems done on their network not my router as open 3rd party router. Other Sims when testing in same router were fine. (I worked around this issue by installing VPN client on my machine)

I tried three before this speed was much higher on 4g but it cost more and for one to two users Vodafone does the job.

Three now do 5g and fixed wireless access aerial on house to the local masts were speeds are higher again. But have not tried it.

Yep - Did that and no fiber as yet for my address and no landline which is why I asked specifically about the wireless product. Thanks for the feedback.
Do any of your neighbours have broadband over the phone? They may be able to indicate what speeds you can get.

Any mobile broadband will be capped. Gomo was 80GB the last time I checked. Upload and download are both counted towards your allowance on mobile broadband.

Any mobile broadband will be capped. Gomo was 80GB the last time I checked. Upload and download are both counted towards your allowance on mobile broadband.
Not just that, but many will throttle speeds once you start using a few tens of GB even when you're under the cap or fair usage limit.

Last time I checked 48 had the highest cap/fair usage limit of 200GB. But, as I said, I'd only ever use mobile broadband as an emergency measure or a stopgap between wired broadband providers. I did this before for a few weeks on order to become a new customer with VM, having been with them previously, in order to avail of new customer offers. It was functional but no better than that.

Did you try calling Eir about this??

I only mention this as like yourself we got rid of the landline phone 10+ years ago when we switched to a "broadband only" service from Vodafone
And over those years we've been more than happy with the service and price from Vodafone except in 2020 when Eir were doing a great deal
We used the online checker from Eir but it said "no fibre at this address" but when we contacted them directly they said the issue is because we don't have a landline number attached to the address, so they had to do that before we could become a customer and show up on the BB checker

Do any of your neighbours have broadband over the phone? They may be able to indicate what speeds you can get.

I am on the original GoMo plan for €10 a month. The cap is 120GB (section 6.4 https://gomo.ie/terms/). I use my phone as hotspot for laptop and it has worked great for the last two years. I have gone over the cap a good few times and not been charged but I might just be lucky - they do slow the data but its still fine for calls on MS teams.

Going back to the OP's question. Yes, I'm using Vodafone Mobile Broadband in North County Dublin.

Am streaming live TV to an iPad. I've found it fast enough and reliable enough for live TV.

Back