Visiting to Belfast via Newry

G

georgewbush2

Any know best place to shop on the way (preferably centres on edge of of towns)

Best place to eat lunch

Best bargains to look out for

Etc.

Newry is pretty straightforward. When you come to the first roundabout after the border, head at 2 o'clock direction to Newry. Straight ahead and you will see the Quays on the RHS (Sainsburys and Debenhams). On the LHS is the Buttercrane (Dunnes). We go up there early in the morning and in the Quays upstairs is a little cafe where the breakfast Baps are ST 1.95 pounds. Our kids love the sausages there. Sainsbury Newry give 73 to the euro. Use euro notes rather than credit card (rate at about 69). Deb's only give official rate, Dunnes give 73 I think. A few other shops in the Quays such as Boots and some clothes shops. There is an Argos store where you can save on ROI prices as well. Check out the argos site for specials and reserve it in the Newry store. Argos rate about the same as official rate so no saving on currency. Further up in Lisburn, Sprucefield has a Sainsburys (rate 72) and Marks and Spencer. However M&S prices in ROI can be cheaper. Happy shopping.

Thanks Hansov, will do that, Any on the outskirts of Belfast, anyone?

Lisburn

On your way to Belfast there are two large shopping centres on the outskirts of Lisburn, just as you reach the M1 motorway to Belfast. Instead of taking the left to go to the M1, go straight thorugh the roundabout. There is a shopping centre on your left with B&Q, Sainsburys and others. There is also one on your right with McDonalds, M&S and others.

Re: Lisburn

The shopping centre Iano is referring to is I think Sprucefield. Not to confuse you.

Re: Lunch at Belfast

Just visited Belfast last weekend.
Try John Hewitt pub beside St.Anne's Cathedral.
Paid GBP16.00 for decent/superb lunch for two including
drinks and coffee.Very good value.

Good bargain! Was in Sainsburys Newry on Monday. 1.5 kg tin of Cadbury Roses 6.48 sterling converted at 73 pence to the euro (Sainsbury's rate) is 8.88 euro. Down in my local Dunnes or Tesco they are 14.78 or so! Nearly 6 euro cheaper! (I love the coffee creams!!!)

if you time it wrong and dont know your way around dundalk be prepared to spend up to an hour in (mostly dublin generated)traffic. I dont think there's that big of a diffence in dundalk shops and newry.

I dont think there's that big of a diffence in dundalk shops and newry

they had a discussion on nt 106 this afternoon on this subject and the conclusion was that the difference was in fact quite large

they had a discussion on nt 106 this afternoon on this subject and the conclusion was that the difference was in fact quite large
Can you elaborate Eamon?

Back