Virtual number for call forwarding

dub_nerd

Has anyone used a virtual phone number service like flynumber.com or freedigits.com? A sibling who lives in the UK has a holiday home in Ireland and needs an Irish phone number to sign up for a number of things. Looks to me like flynumber.com with let them get a Dublin landline number and forward it to their UK phone, or even to a VoIP service (which they already have) for free. Just wondering if anyone has tried it or something like it, and how it worked out?

Not exactly the same, but we've had a Skype number for years and it works well. Ours is a UK number (but you can get an Irish one) and I've just renewed for GBP30 for a year.

You can call out on it using Skype credit (or a subscription) and the call recipient sees a UK landline ringing them. Forwarding incoming calls is possible (using credit), but unnecessary as incoming calls ring on any and all devices where Skype is active. If my PC, tablet and mobile are all on, Skype rings on all of them simultaneously until answered or until the answerphone feature kicks in. I frequently take calls to my Skype number on my mobile which costs me nothing on top of the 30 quid p.a. subscription. People ringing me (all from the UK) pay for a UK local call.

Paul

Thanks PM9999, I didn't know about Skype numbers. However, I see they are three times more expensive than flynumber.com for an Irish number and I don't think you can forward calls for free to a SIP number (which is what I use rather than Skype).

Back