Virgin sending me out a new modem

Brendan Burgess

Founder
I just got a call from Virgin telling me that as have a very old modem, they are sending me out a new one, and all I have to do is plug it in.

My current model is a UPC EVW3226

It is working fine. I never turn it off. I never lose connection. I have no problems with speed.

When I asked the caller what the benefit was she just said "an improved connection". When I asked what that meant she said "It wouldn't improve the speed or anything, as that is, of course, manual, but the connection will be better." I had no idea what she was talking about , but neither had she.

I asked the model name of the new box and she said "it's the Virgin modem".

Is there any reason for me to install this box?

Brendan

Is there any reason for me to install this box?

Yes -- if they take away your old one! :)

This is the one they'll be sending:
CsQ7GcK.jpg

It has the annoying requirement of standing on its side. But apart from that I've found it extremely reliable and the connection very stable. But then you probably get that from your current box too. I imagine that the motivation is really for Virgin to not have to support older boxes with firmware updates etc. forever, so having rolled out this newer hardware over the last couple of years they now want to get rid of remaining legacy stuff.

Yes -- if they take away your old one! :)

This is the one they'll be sending:
CsQ7GcK.jpg

It has the annoying requirement of standing on its side.

We got one of those recently but the guy fitting it placed it on its side as the desk space did not allow for it to stand upright. It seems to be working perfectly.

Maybe the manufacturer are no longer providing firmware updates for this model. Also it supports Docsis 3.0, not 3.1. VM are probably considering going to 3.1, because of the higher speeds it offers (would tie in with retiring analogue tv too)

Shocking behaviour by Virgin.

It arrived today. As the courier did not ask for the old one, I thought I was ok.

Then at 8.30 pm tonight - they disconnected my phone and internet so I was forced to install the new one.

There was no notice or warning about this.

Brendan

It could be worse @Brendan Burgess
I had to swap mine a few years ago, but instead of sending me 1, they sent me 3 !
Then they cut off my service (similar to yourself), and of course I selected one of the boxes randomly and tried installing it and would not work. It was of course after 9pm at this stage, so the call centre had closed for the night. Tried again first thing in the morning and they did not have the foggiest (any of the modems should work fine)

In the end (think 2 days later), they eventually worked out that the service had been configured to a particular modem and once we tried this, we eventually got it to work. I had asked repeatedly whether there was a particular modem configured against the account and was told absolutely not until it connects to the line.

Then it only took another 3 calls to them to come and collect the other two modems they had incorrectly sent to me !

the guy fitting it placed it on its side as the desk space did not allow for it to stand upright.

The manual says

The CH 7465 CE should always be put in a vertical upright position
There should always be a clearance of at least 30CM between each of the side covers and any object that might block the airflow.

Brendan

I got that new one about a year ago and it is far superior to the Horizon box which had previously been working as our modem. Better signal in the rooms furthest from the modem.

Back