Virgin Horizon Box showing no connection?

Brendan Burgess

Founder
On Sunday, the Favourites Mode was no longer enabled. I had not consciously disabled it.

I enabled it again, but although it said "Favourites mode enabled" it wasn't.

I enabled it again, and still no luck.

I unplugged to box from the electricity overnight.

This evening I have plugged it back in and I am getting a message "You have no signal"

I didn't change anything but I checked the connections and they seem ok.

I switched off the box and back on and still nothing.

While it says "no signal" and while there is no picture or sound , the text tells you what programme is being broadcast , so there must be some sort of signal getting through.

When I try to play a programme I have recorded, I get a message "you don't have a subscription for this channel"

The time is showing at 31 December.

Any ideas?

Brendan

Last edited:
I do not know how to repair but be aware your horizon box is probably out of date . I renewed my contact recently and received an upgraded smaller box and it’s a far slicker machine . Would strongly recommend changing

There were high winds on Saturday night. I don’t have Virgin Media but my neighbours do and there wires cross my property. One of them blew down and as a result their service is down. Have you checked outside?

Hi Gordon

I had service on Sunday but the "enable favourite mode" wasn't working.

I will ring them tomorrow.

Brendan

Turn everything off and reset your router. Might be a bit late at night at this stage I realise

Turn everything off and reset your router.

Thanks for that suggestion. It never occurred to me.

If that will solve the problem, of course, I will do it. But I would be concerned that it might have some unintended consequences:

1617089776111.png
I don't want to go to all this hassle and then find it's something else.

Brendan

I rang Virgin Media. Although they said that the wait would be 10 minutes, it was actually only 2 minutes.

There was a problem in the area yesterday, but it had been resolved.

We tried a few things.

Then he asked me to check the cable connections again. I felt so stupid. When I pressed the connection at the wall into the socket , it came back.

I must have hit the cable when I went to the back to turn it off.

Brendan

he asked me to check the cable connections again. I felt so stupid. When I pressed the connection at the wall into the socket , it came back.
Don't feel that way, things like this happen all the time. You check things and all seems ok, then someone else checks it & hey presto it works! What did they do differently - pushed a cable in / unplugged & re-plugged / something like that ? and it works!

Once it is sorted now, then that is the main thing! If this happens again in the future, you know that you'll check the cable a couple of times.

Back