Views on our financial position please

All in all you owe: 1,018,000 on assets worth 1,675,000

On a combined salary of circa 205K.

Your debt is almost 5X your combined salaries, thats alot. If I was in that position I wouldn't think I was well off.

It looks to me more like circa 4 x income which isn't excessive (think of the Central Bank 3.5 multiple for context).

€180k salaries
€25k bonus
€7k other
€15k rental income
€12.5k share options (assume 4 year)

€240k give or take

I'd look to fast track the repayment of the home mortage, but I wouldn't be obsessing over it.

- Our salaries are now €80k and €145k.

- I was going to be missing around a year of service at age 60 so we spent around €25k before tax relief buying that back.

- His pension fund is now worth around €500k and it's invested 100% in a global share fund.

- We sold our other properties.

- The mortgage is around €510k now, with the property worth around €1.5m.

- We have no other debt and €50k in the credit union for emergencies.

- We're overpaying the mortgage by €1,000 a month.

- My husband gets a bonus of €80k each year. We put 2/3 of the €40k against the mortgage and spend the other €13,000 on an experience for the family as people suggested!

Thanks again for the good advice!

Many thanks for the update.

I think you made all the right moves and you’re obviously in a fantastic financial position for your stage of life.

It’s always great when a poster comes back to give an update. Little did we think in 2016 that we would end up in a pandemic. Barbara you were so right to take the advice and go for it as regards family experiences. We’ve done the same. And will go mad altogether if this covid ends. We can’t take the money with us and life is very short, you never now what’s around the corner. (Illness, loss of job, pandemic, age).

Back