Viewing the first few lines of a thread

Discussion in 'How to use Askaboutmoney' started by Charley, Apr 30, 2015.

1. Charley

Charley Frequent Poster

Hi, when the new website format was changed a while back I vaguely remember reading that if you put your cursor over the thread title, it allowed you to read the first few lines of the thread to give you an idea - at a glance - of what it contained.

Is that the case? And if so, how do I switch it on because it doesn't work for me.

Thanks
    :confused:

2. Páid

Páid Frequent Poster

It should be on by default.

What browser are you using?

3. Páid

Páid Frequent Poster

4. Charley

Charley Frequent Poster

I'm using Chrome, thanks

5. Charley

Charley Frequent Poster

Wow, that looks cool! And very useful.
    I don't see that at all though. I have to click on each individual thread to see what it contains o_O

6. Charley

Charley Frequent Poster

Does it not work in every browser then? :(

7. Brendan Burgess

Brendan Burgess Founder

It works in Firefox but I am not able to do a screen shot as it disappears when I move the cursor away.

Brendan

8. Ceist Beag

Ceist Beag Frequent Poster

works fine in Chrome for me

9. Páid

Páid Frequent Poster

Works in the latest versions of Chrome and Firefox. You need javascript enabled. Are you using a plugin such as NoScript or do you have javascript disabled?

10. Eithneangela

Eithneangela Frequent Poster

Works fine in Chrome for me on laptop but not on my Kindle Fire Android.

11. Charley

Charley Frequent Poster

I'm using Chrome Version 42.0.2311.135 m (The latest one available) on a 64 bit windows 8.1 laptop with
    JavaScript enabled and no extensions set up to block JavaScript. Is there anything else I need to check?

12. Páid

Páid Frequent Poster

Can you try it with Internet Explorer or Firefox? Put your mouse pointer over the thread link and leave it stationary for a second or two and the preview should appear.

Also, try this in Chrome. It's a bit technical but it might give you a clue as to what is happening.

1. Go here - http://www.askaboutmoney.com/forums/how-to-use-askaboutmoney.42/
    2. Right click the link to this thread and select Inspect Element
    3. In the window that opens, click the Console tab
    4. Hover your mouse pointer over the link to any thread in the main browser window
    5. Look in the Console window and see if you get a line like this "Setup preview tooltip for threads/viewing-the-first-few-lines-of-a-thread.193591/preview" or is there any error text in red?

If there is any red error text, post a screenshot or the text of it here.