VHI vs. Laya vs. Irish Life

MunsterLeinster

I'm (42, Male, Dublin) doing a bit of research and looking through a lot of posts in this forum I've come up with a short list of possibilities:

VHI - PMI 0710 - €1188
Laya - Simply Connect - €1100
Irish Life - 4D Health 2 - €1213

They're all close on price and seem to offer similar benefits.
Laya give the smallest outpatient limit (€500).

I haven't had insurance for over 5 years so I'm struggling to see which company is best to deal with and are there any hidden benefits / pitfalls to each company?

Any help or comments would be appreciated before I pull out the credit card.

I've been with VHI and Laya over the years, have had no pitfalls.

Laya have a mobile app for claiming outpatient expenses, which is very handy, not sure if VHI offer same.

VHI Swiftcare clinics ONLY accept VHI customers. If there's one near you that might swing your vote towards them.

No experience with Irish Life.

Thanks odyssey
There's seems to be little mention of Irish Life on this forum. Are not many people using them?

VHI has a large legacy customer base.

LAYA put a lot of effort on targeting companies that provide health insurance and offering competitive 'corporate' plans - which anyone can avail of.

I guess that leaves Irish Life.

I think it might be 50% VHI, 30% LAYA and 20% Irish Life market share.

Both Irish Life and Laya allow you to change plans at any time outside of renewal date if you want.
For example, if you wanted to switch to a plan with higher day to day cover because of impending expenses, you can do this with no
waiting time applied for day to day cover.
VHI don't allow this but at the same time, they allow children to be insured on their own without an adult, something the
other two providers don't allow.

Sometimes Irish Life plans end up being the more expensive option, so people tend to opt for the lower priced plan with similar cover.
They lose out on customers as a result. This shows itself in your own list of choices.

For older customers, the 2000 co payment for orthopaedic surgery(hip and knee replacement surgery) in private or hi-tech hospitals can
be a deal breaker when choosing a plan. Laya plans fully cover this type of surgery in private and hi-tech hospitals.

Regards, Snowyb

Back