Health Insurance VHI Renewal for single parent and one child

Páid

Currently I'm with VHI and am on PMI 42 15. This plan is being retired at the end of the year and I will be migrated to Company Plan Extra Level 2.

I'm 51 and my son is 7 and he was migrated to EnhancedCare Complete 75 Day-to-Day last year.

My renewal premium is €2,187.06 and I am looking to reduce my cover / save my money.

I have read the key posts and am now of the opinion that I'm better off without good day-to day cover as it's bad value. I would be better off on a plan without day to day and saving the money instead (or paying it off my mortgage). We rarely visit a GP or otherwise have claims.

We are both relatively healthy and have no issues. A close family member died of a rare form of cancer earlier this year and an elderly parent of mine had a stent put in. It would be easy to let these incidents influence my decision making process and purchase cover for them but I think both are very low risk and unlikely to affect us, at least not for another while.

I have found VHI customer service to be well below what I would expect recently but I will probably stay with them.

I wouldn't want a private room if I had to be hospitalised, semi-private would be nice. I am a fan of the VHI Swiftcare clinics. The VHI seems to have standardised the cost across a lot of their plans i.e. €75 excess and xray/ultrasound is included (before I think the cost depended on your plan).

FirstCare 500 Day-to-Day for myself and my son is €918.23 yearly which is a considerable saving.

Am I missing anything?

Back