Health Insurance VHI Healthplus Extra vs. Laya, Create your own policy

Armada

Hi Folks,

Really bamboozled with all the different options out there.

History: 50 year old currently insured with VHI (old plan B options) now Healthcare Extra, quoted circa 2250e for renewal. I'm looking at creating Laya's scheme with comprehensive hospital cover, 125 excess and enhanced medical expenses. Thats coming in at around 1400e.
Am I missing something here? Is it comparable cover, does anyone know? Thank you.

My parents were on that VHI plan and I switched them to Laya. They are currently on Total Health Select, premium of €1523. The Laya policy has superior hospital cover, and at least as good out patient.

You can compare the plans side by side here:
[broken link removed]

I think your VHI plan is one of the most heavily loaded as it's old and VHI are trying to milk non-switchers. There are likely better VHI plans out there, see previous VHI threads here:
http://www.askaboutmoney.com/threads/best-comparison-to-plan-b.190898/

Hi Folks,

Really bamboozled with all the different options out there.

History: 50 year old currently insured with VHI (old plan B options) now Healthcare Extra, quoted circa 2250e for renewal. I'm looking at creating Laya's scheme with comprehensive hospital cover, 125 excess and enhanced medical expenses. Thats coming in at around 1400e.
Am I missing something here? Is it comparable cover, does anyone know? Thank you.

Best priced plan using your criteria with laya is 'Connect Choice' 1100pa (125 excess)

Similar cover with VHI is Plan PMI 36 13; 1175pa (75 excess)

[broken link removed]

A third option with no inpatient excess and extra outpatient cover with VHI is Company Plan Extra Level 3 1480pa
[broken link removed]

Snowyb

Thank you both for your helpful replies.

Snowyb, if I can just ask what in your opinion is the nearest plan to the old VHI B options ... without the day to day expenses, which really isnt a deal breaker for me?

The price difference is vast between Laya and VHI.

My mother who is 77 and enjoys good health is also on the same VHI plan. Her renewal is this week too, (as is my other half's, another VHI plan B options) but she is very slow to change. This comes from a person who has never had a claim in 35 years. That said, she has a minor cardiac complaint and is nervous about moving to another company and does not want to downgrade or compromise her existing level of cover. Is there perhaps a better plan which my mother could move to? Essentially, I am renewing 3 policies this month.

Thank you again,

Armada

Hi Armada,

As VHI B Options has no inpatient excess, the nearest equivalent at best prices are;

1. VHI Company Plan Extra Level 3 1480pa ( with extra outpatient cover)
Note; a similar plan with no outpatient cover with VHI is PMI 30 12; 1473pa; not recommended overpriced.

2. Laya Total Health Select; 1523pa ( better hospital and outpatient cover).

[broken link removed]

Usually it is recommended that an older person would choose a plan with no inpatient excess, especially if they have ongoing
health issues and if they are inclined to opt for private or hi-tech hospitals. No excess applies to any public hospitals.

If you don't mind taking a plan with a hospital excess, the following options would be suitable, similar hospital cover to Plan B Options,
except for the inpatient excess and 2 plans with good outpatient cover, which is not included on Plan B Options despite the high cost.

1. VHI PMI 37 13; 1101pa no outpatient cover, hospital excess 100.
2. VHI PMI 36 13; 1175pa good outpatient cover, hospital excess 75.
3. LAYA Connect Choice; 1100pa good outpatient cover, hospital excess 125.

[broken link removed]

Snowyb

Well after a lot of deliberating, we all went with Laya's Total Health Select at around 1500 each.

Thank you so much Odyssey06 and Snowyb for all your helpful advice.
The savings on the 3 policies is coming in around €2250.

Cover seems to be better all round than the old VHI Plan B Options so hopefully everything will work out as promised. Thanks again.

Hi Armada,

As VHI B Options has no inpatient excess, the nearest equivalent at best prices are;

1. VHI Company Plan Extra Level 3 1480pa ( with extra outpatient cover)
Note; a similar plan with no outpatient cover with VHI is PMI 30 12; 1473pa; not recommended overpriced.

2. Laya Total Health Select; 1523pa ( better hospital and outpatient cover).

[broken link removed]

Usually it is recommended that an older person would choose a plan with no inpatient excess, especially if they have ongoing
health issues and if they are inclined to opt for private or hi-tech hospitals. No excess applies to any public hospitals.

If you don't mind taking a plan with a hospital excess, the following options would be suitable, similar hospital cover to Plan B Options,
except for the inpatient excess and 2 plans with good outpatient cover, which is not included on Plan B Options despite the high cost.

1. VHI PMI 37 13; 1101pa no outpatient cover, hospital excess 100.
2. VHI PMI 36 13; 1175pa good outpatient cover, hospital excess 75.
3. LAYA Connect Choice; 1100pa good outpatient cover, hospital excess 125.

[broken link removed]

Snowyb
Snowyb
VHI PMI 36 13 only covers 80% of Orthopaedic work - Laya Connect Choice covers 100% of Orthopoedic work. This is the main difference I can see between the two. Am I right in this. Is this significant. Would appreciate your view

cronley,
Yes, you are right, VHI cover 80% of orthopaedic surgery and in theory the patient would pay the 20% shortfall.
However, in practice, it is a different story. Some private and hi-tech hospitals are not collecting the 20% shortfall - for example
Blackrock Clinic, Mater Private, Santry Sports Clinic are waiving this shortfall. Re other private hospitals, this would have to be
confirmed.
Apart from minor differences re the inpatient excess and some outpatient cover, these 2 plans are similar.

Snowyb

Back