VHI VHI Health Plus Extra : net premium for my wife & I is €2,921

dewdrop

Like many others we are covered under above plan and have been for a long number of years.

We want to stay with VHI and would welcome any suggestions of alternative plans which would reduce the net premium.

This year net premium for my wife and myself is 2921 euro. We are a bit mesmerised with all the plans available hence our query.

We would not mind having to pay a modest excess say around 500 on any particular item.

Company Plan Extra or Company Plan Extra Level 2 are two options.

Patrick

Thanks pj111. just got renewal notification for 2013 and for my wife and myself net premium is 3385 euro. If i decided to switch to one of the options you mention what are the main benefits i would lose? I know this info is elsewhere but i find it difficult to grasp all the details.

www.hia.ie

This is the health insurance authority website. You can compare two (or more) policies side by side, so it is easy to use and easy to compare cover/benefits of each policy.

Thanks gm88.. i notice some of the plans only cover 80% of certain orthopaedic procedures. On a very approximate average which might this cost be to the policyholder. I assume it could run into a few thousands? and is this considered a major risk to take unless you had plenty of funds.?

Thanks gm88.. i notice some of the plans only cover 80% of certain orthopaedic procedures. On a very approximate average which might this cost be to the policyholder. I assume it could run into a few thousands? and is this considered a major risk to take unless you had plenty of funds.?

Hi Dewdrop,

Regarding the 80% restriction for orthopaedic procedures, this restriction only applies to surgery in private and hi tech hospitals. Note it does not apply to surgery in public hospitals.

Also, since 2008, the 20% shortfall is not being collected in hi tech hospitals such as Mater Private and Blackrock Clinic. Some private hospitals are also not collecting the shortfall ie Mount Carmel. You would have to confirm same with others.

So, it is fine to take out a policy with 80% restriction, with no extra costs involved.

Another plan worth considering with VHI is called;

Plan PMI 05 11

Cost per adult 1168 per year

www.hia.ie/ci/comparison/step3?68&232/

Snowyb

I think perhaps that if you change plans, even within the VHI, that you will have to wait for two years longer before you can claim for certain procedures. Orthopedic would be one example.

Re waiting periods that Homeland has mentioned this is a direct quote from the www.hia.ie website:
Current Market Practice

Inpatient benefits

As of 1 Jan 2012, Aviva Health, GloHealth and laya healthcare only apply the waiting periods above to higher inpatient benefits, for illnesses that developed before you switched plans and for maternity benefits. Vhi will apply waiting periods to higher inpatient benefits for illnesses that develop after you switch and for illnesses that developed before you switched

So, I think the waiting periods only apply if you take out a higher level policy. Otherwise, you have served your waiting time with your current health insurer.

Just to clarify, you would not lose any benefits if you were to switch from Health Plus Extra to any of the above recommended plans with VHI.

Also, you would not have to wait for 2 years longer before you could claim for orthopedic surgery or for any other type of surgery. In-patient waiting times only apply if you are upgrading your plan, which is not the case in this situation. Your in-patient waiting times were served when you first took out health insurance years ago.

There are extra out-patient benefits ie ( GP Visits,consultant fees ) on Company Plan Extra Level 2 and Plan PMI 05 11. Waiting times may apply to this part of the policy only, if you are 50 yrs or older.

Out-patient waiting times are as follows:

Under 50 yrs: No waiting applies, immediate cover.
Age 50 -54yrs: 26 weeks waiting time applies.
Age 55 - 64yrs: 52 weeks waiting time applies.
Age 65yrs & older: 104 weeks waiting time applies.

If a waiting time applies to you, you can still claim out-patient expenses under your previous plan while waiting, ie (Health Plus Extra).

Snowyb

Back