Health Insurance VHI for elective medical day ward procedure

masterboy123

Hi,
I have an elective day procedure following a referral from A&E, and the hospital asked me if I want to go private vs. public. I asked whichever is quicker. I opted for VHI and signed 2x VHI documents.
I have VHI Public Plus Care Day to Day.
I have two queries now:
1. Do I have to pay anything from my pocket?
2. Will this claim increase my annual premium next year?

Thanks!

Hi

You will, to be 100% sure, need to ring VHI and get their clearance. They always recommend this course of action, to ensure that you do not get any shocks, further down the line if you are not covered, or have an excess applying. You may need to get a code for the procedure for VHI but they will let you know if this is the case.

Community rating appears to ensure that your premium will not increase if you have a claim.
Thank you for the prompt reply.

I have signed the documents already now (a long tiring day at the hospital) but will ensure to get the code next time.

Fingers crossed that I don't get a bill. A colleague told me if you're referred by A&E then it's unlikely you will pay anything. I will update after a few weeks in case I receive a bill.

Hi masterboy123,

Its irrelevant if you signed the documents they can always be cancelled if you find that the cost is excessive and you cannot afford it if you are not covered.

I don't recommend the 'fingers crossed' approach and for your peace of mind one phone call to VHI will ease this. VHI confirm this also. They quite often have direct payment procedures in place too.

The stress of worrying about it in the meantime won't help your health.

It is not a big deal to get the code if it is required by VHI, I have done this many times by contacting the hospital or the secretary of the consultant looking after you.

Best of luck with your procedure.

Hi masterboy123,

Its irrelevant if you signed the documents they can always be cancelled if you find that the cost is excessive and you cannot afford it if you are not covered.

I don't recommend the 'fingers crossed' approach and for your peace of mind one phone call to VHI will ease this. VHI confirm this also. They quite often have direct payment procedures in place too.

The stress of worrying about it in the meantime won't help your health.

It is not a big deal to get the code if it is required by VHI, I have done this many times by contacting the hospital or the secretary of the consultant looking after you.

Best of luck with your procedure.
Thank you @Sueellen
I appreciate your advice.

The procedure is being done by a Registrar doctor and not a consultant.

Back