Health Insurance VHI converting corporate to premium membership, charging the difference

Felandaris

Hi all,

I left my job end of June and started a new one mid-July. Old job had a VHI corporate scheme, new job doesn't so I got in on my partner's corporate plan to remain insured.

When I left my old company I asked HR whether I'd have to do anything about ending my membership and they said I didn't. I obviously should have chased this up because this afternoon I got a letter saying my plan was converted to Premium, my renewal date is in Feb and I have to basically pay for the rest of this term (>EUR2k). Letter says payment was due 3 September and is dated 4 September.

Before this letter I'd not received any other communication (email, call, SMS, app notification) that this would happen. Therefore my questions:

Is this legal for them to do? (Haven't checked my T&Cs yet as this literally just happened)
Has anyone experienced this, and what did you do?

Thanks

F

When you leave a company sponsored policy, the health insurance company cannot assume that you no longer want your cover.

This is why the policy is transferred out of the group scheme and you are billed directly.

Assuming it had been paid for by the company, you can contact them to say you longer want the policy, or let it runs its course where it will cancel due to non payment.

If the policy had not been sponsered or paid by your previous company, then you are in a 12 month contract and you will have to pay the invoice or face a breach in your contract penalty.

Back