Vendor has changed closing date

cms

We signed contracts for our new house last week and the vendor signed today. We already signed the contracts for our sale. We were supposed to be closing both deals on Monday, but this morning, after signing, the vendor has said they won't be ready to move until the 8th of December. I have to say I'm quite suspicious that its to do with waiting for the budget to come out.

We really want to move now as I'm nearly 8 months pregnant. We had presumed we would be in the new house at this stage so had budgeted the full amount of stamp duty and are prepared to pay it rather than wait for the slim chance that it might go down. Our buyer is a FTB so isn't affected by the stamp duty. She is pushing us to move.

My question is, is there anything we can do to to bring forward the closing date? Can our buyer charge us for not moving when we agreed? Or do we just have to wait it out. I realise it could be to our advantage if the stamp duty is reduced, but at this stage I just want to move and I don't think the baby will hang around to see what's in the budget!

You could ask the Vendor to bring back the date given your situation but at the end of the day you are better with an agreed date that everyone thinks they can make than having a vendor who gets what they want anyway by simply draging their heels. I would have thought a vendor would be more accommodating given that you are 8 months pregnant, you should try to make alternative arrangements for your own comfort if the closing is running close to your due date, don't worry about your purchasers, FTB's are bottom of the food chain as far as closing dates are concerned. I have moved house myself in a similar situation, the baby ended up being 2 weeks old on moving day, good luck with it.

Back