Vehicle Breakdown cover

Hibernian offer Breakdown Assist as part of there standard comprehensive insurance cover.

If you have done the ignition course I am finding Hibernian hard to beat as regards quotes.

No affiliated to Hibernain by the way...

if you get insurance thru the AA (broker) you can get breakdown assist at a reduced price. Make sure that your insurance doesn't include breakdown cover already.

I should have been a bit clearer - breakdown cover abroad.
There's the AA 5 star which seems expensive and europassist don't seem to deal ouside the "UK area". An email from Europassist mentioned two companies:
Prestige 0494371505, Jardines 01 1026000

Just wondering if anyone has had experience with these or others.

some domestic policies will cover you for a certain abroad with having to take extra protection...

Hi Karl,

I was insured twice with AA 5 star abroad. And I broke down both times !!. The AA were simply a nightmare to deal with both times.
Look at alternatives if possible.

I am an ordinary punter, with no connection with any motoring, insurance or press company.

some travel insurance companies include european motor assist.

I found RAC cheaper than the AA for vehicle breakdown abroad for my car.
It can depend on the age of your car, however. Both have higher rates for
older cars, but the cut off point is different. I have an 7 year car, and
the RAC only load the price for 8 year old cars.

Can't comment on the service, as I didn't have to use it, thankfully.

Last edited:
Cornmarket offer an annual family policy - including European Motoring Cover (which is normally quite expensive in its own right) - for euro 73. This is by far he best value I've seen. I had cover with them for 2006, though I did not have a claim, so I don't know what they're like on that front.

Would it not be cheaper to just rent a car over there for 30/40 Euro a day which would include break down cover?

Hi Karl,

I was insured twice with AA 5 star abroad. And I broke down both times !!. The AA were simply a nightmare to deal with both times.
Look at alternatives if possible.

I am an ordinary punter, with no connection with any motoring, insurance or press company.
Also the AA have a condition that if the cost of repairs/towing/returning the car home is more than the value of the car they simply won't do it. A real kick in the teeth for older car owners who must pay an increased premium to begin with.

It may be provided by the car manufacturer if your car is less than 3 year old/100k kms, or if you have taken an extended warranty otherwise

Back