VAT on secondhand goods from outside the EU

brightHalcyon

I'm looking to buy a secondhand graphics tablet online from abroad. It's relatively expensive for computer peripherals new, somewhere in the region of €75-€100. However, this secondhand one is less than €20 . I'm worried that if I buy this, I'll get charged VAT at the rate on price this item would be new, and I can't find anything about this online. Does anyone know if VAT would be charged one the original price? Is there anywhere I can find out information like this when neither revenue.ie or citizensinformation.ie have an answer? I realise it's more likely to be charged on what I paid, but I'm trying to avoid being slammed with more charges and as I can't find anywhere it says I won't have to pay more, I'm trying to cover my bases.

Abroad is very vague - can you be more precise? Is it from an EU country?

According to this page, [broken link removed] , VAT, Customs duty, etc is on the cost of the good which I take to mean the amount you paid for the good excluding postage, etc

Indeed this document, [broken link removed] , actually says "Invoice price"

According to this page, [broken link removed] , VAT, Customs duty, etc is on the cost of the good which I take to mean the amount you paid for the good excluding postage, etc

Indeed this document, [broken link removed] , actually says "Invoice price"

Indeed that document also says the following:-

"Customs Duty is normally calculated as a percentage of the value of the goods. The rate of customs duty that applies depends on the type of goods and the country of origin. Customs Duty is charged on the price paid for the goods including local sales taxes plus postage, packaging and insurance costs. "

Back