vaccine distribution in what order etc?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bet they were white and rich.

I reckon the following is not far off the mark with first four dominating betting:-
1/33 White and Rich and Voiciferous
11/8 Non White and Rich and Voiciferous
1/2 Medical Staff and Rich but claiming to be poor
1/1 Nursing Staff also claiming to be poor and probably the only staff members to tell the full truth.
3/1 Hospital Porter (males), poor too, but never failing to speak up when there is a microphone near.
6/1 Hospital Management Non Patient Facing saying nothing
10/1 Support Staff and it doesn't matter what they say.
33/1 Clerical Staff below the least management grade. Who know enough to remain silent.

If the Enquiry that was called for goes ahead, I'm looking forward to the results. It shouldn't take more than 10 minutes, but I bet it drags on until late autumn by which the 65+ should have received the first dose of the vaccine.

I was talking globally.
All the rich white people will be vaccinated first. The people who need it most will get it last. The head of the WHO is now saying the same thing.

Let's not forget that India is the largest global vaccine maker. "**************************" Industries of India will produce primarily for India but only started its rollout on the 16th of January.

Likewise Sinopharm in China is also a major producer and will be the main supplier for China .

With approximately 2.5bn population in both countries they won't be adding to the global supply anytime soon.

Once the Western producers figure out how their vaccines can be lyophilized roll out to poorer countries will be problematic and it always has been. For example Africa isn't anywhere near a mobile as the Western World and its infrastructure poor.

On an aside there is now a growing amount of evidence that we might be getting vaccines annually just like the flu.
Of course the studies are in their infancy but many are citing the quickness of the virus mutations.
However BioNTech have said that their vaccine seems to able to keep its effectiveness against the mutations that have occurred so far.

Edit, the name of the Indian company has fallen foul of language rules but Google will give the name

I reckon the following is not far off the mark with first four dominating betting:-
1/33 White and Rich and Voiciferous
Herself got the 1st vaccine...she's white and rich (in a global context). Voiciferous.....no comment ;) :D

I was talking globally.
All the rich white people will be vaccinated first. The people who need it most will get it last. The head of the WHO is now saying the same thing.

Without the rich people there wouldn't be a vaccine... and China, India, Japan, Korea are hardly 'white', nor are the populations of UK, US, France exclusively white. I think you've taken a wrong turn somewhere.

Without the rich people there wouldn't be a vaccine... and China, India, Japan, Korea are hardly 'white', nor are the populations of UK, US, France exclusively white. I think you've taken a wrong turn somewhere.
Oh, okay, so people in Afghanistan and Chad and the Central African Republic and Somalia will get it the same time as the rest of us. You should let them know, they are under a different impression. So is Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus (the head of the WHO). He described it as a catastrophic moral failure. I think he's understating it.

Without the taxes of rich people in this country there's be no welfare. Should I get a maid and a gardener for my troubles or are the taxes I pay the price of civilization and a moral duty?
Does my moral duty end at the border of my country?
It seems for most Irish people it does. It would be outrageous for me to get the vaccine before every person in a high risk group in the world has received it.

Oh, okay, so people in Afghanistan and Chad and the Central African Republic and Somalia will get it the same time as the rest of us. You should let them know, they are under a different impression. So is Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus (the head of the WHO). He described it as a catastrophic moral failure. I think he's understating it.

No I think a it would be a moral failure to develop a vaccine and keep it to yourself, period.
Funding a vaccine that the above countries could never hope to develop, and then rolling it out to them after vaccinating one's own populations so as to restore economic normality is in no sense a moral failure.
The rollout which likely will have considerable funding from charities (Mr Gates) and global organisations (also funded by rich countries).

No I think a it would be a moral failure to develop a vaccine and keep it to yourself, period.
Funding a vaccine that the above countries could never hope to develop, and then rolling it out to them after vaccinating one's own populations so as to restore economic normality is in no sense a moral failure.
The rollout which likely will have considerable funding from charities (Mr Gates) and global organisations (also funded by rich countries).
Wow.
Do you feel the same about rich people here? Should they get vaccinated first? After all it's their taxes that pays for everything.
If I can prove I'm a net contributor to the exchequer (I am) should I go to the head of the queue?

Wow.
Do you feel the same about rich people here? Should they get vaccinated first? After all it's their taxes that pays for everything.
If I can prove I'm a net contributor to the exchequer (I am) should I go to the head of the queue?

I'm not going to get drawn down ridiculous rabbit holes. The logical moral conclusion of your argument is Ireland shouldn't spend a single cent more on an Irish person's health than on any anywhere in the world. It's a globalist fantasy. Ireland and the EU etc need to sort themselves out first before they think about helping the rest, and Ireland has a special responsibility towards its own citizens, as each country does. Our moral duty does not encompass sacrificing our economy to lockdowns and leaving our population exposed to the virus.
I'm not going to continue this any further here as to me it is fantasy stuff that should be in shooting the breeze.

I'm not going to get drawn down ridiculous rabbit holes. The logical moral conclusion of your argument is Ireland shouldn't spend a single cent more on an Irish person's health than on any anywhere in the world. It's a globalist fantasy. Ireland and the EU etc need to sort themselves out first before they think about helping the rest, and Ireland has a special responsibility towards its own citizens, as each country does. Our moral duty does not encompass sacrificing our economy to lockdowns and leaving our population exposed to the virus.
I'm not going to continue this any further here as to me it is fantasy stuff that should be in shooting the breeze.
Okay, so you are cool with people with a very low risk of dying from the virus in Ireland getting vaccinated before the most vulnerable people in the poorest countries in the world.
Are you okay with child labour in other countries which benefits our economy or is it just letting the parents of those children die to protect our economy that you're okay with?

Ireland has a special responsibility towards its own citizens, as each country does.
That line has been used to justify some pretty awful things throughout history. I don't consider our economy to be more important than other people's lives. We are talking about a slower rolling back of our lockdown with minimal additional loss of life here.
The risk of new variants developing in poorer countries with little or no access to vaccines should also be factored in by those who only care about their own. If we end up with a whole new wave of a more contagious and deadly variant for which existing vaccines offer no protection we'll deserve it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back