Vacant Homes Tax - 3 times the Basic LPT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very low threshold compared to the Canadian vacancy taxes.

If you move into house for 30 days, it becomes exempt.

Canada is typically six months.

on homes occupied less than 30 days a year.

Self-assessed

3 times the Basic LPT
Independent reported that it applied to houses unoccupied for 30 days a year. I thought that was harsh

Attachments

• 248B307C-A20B-4A5E-9AA5-C466D62A2B14.jpeg
    248B307C-A20B-4A5E-9AA5-C466D62A2B14.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 183
You could go on holiday for that lenght time. Many pensioners go aboard for a month or two over the Christmas.

It seems nonsense to me. It doesn't apply to derelict houses. So a developer can buy up half a street and let it go derelict. Failing that, say you used it as a holiday home for 30 days over the year. Its self-assessed, so who's gonna say you didnt?

I know of houses without modern facilities, you know those old cottages you see on daft that are not quite derelict (I think) but are also not serviced with power & or water. I wonder where they fall on the Vacant<>Derelict spectrum.
I'd imagine quite a few property owners of these types of properties are in for a shock as they would never have viewed those properties as viable for tenancy.

I'm not even sure of the technical definition for dereliction.

Info on Derelict propery definition & levy here: https://www.citizensinformation.ie/...ngs_and_structures/derelict_sites.html#lfaec6

Derelict sites and vacancies are two entirely different things.
Assuming this is to place a "cost" on landlords deliberately leaving a unit vacant after a tenant leaves in order to reset the rent.
LPT is still quite small so cost in most cases is as little as 500-600. And is it per year or one off?

On the other hand, it might be a way to try to prevent dereliction in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back