Utilities when PPR becoming Investment Property

noobie99

Folks,

Can someone tell me how ESB and GAs are handles when a PPR is let out (changed to Investemtn property).

I assume Cable and landline are disconnected but what's the sceal with ESB and Gas?

Links or any other info. appreciated.

Cheers,

N.

Hi noobie99,

If I were you - I wouldn't disconnect any of the services to the property. Wait until you get a tenant and offer them the option of taking over the services - most people want a landline and cable TV and if you disconnect, it may be costly to reconnect.

Make sure the tenants take over the utilities and any other services they wish to have. Take meter readings on the day the tenants move in and contact the ESB and Gas supplier to inform them. They will want a contact number for the tenants as they have to confirm with them in person that they are willing to take over the accounts. Phone the utility companies again in a day or two to make sure the accounts have been transferred.

In cases where the tenant may not have had previous utility accounts, the ESB, for example, may ask the tenant for a deposit. This is for the tenant to pay, not you, the utilities are their responsibility.

If they decide to take over the cable TV, make sure you let them know that they are also responsible for the TV licence. This should also be stated in your lease, along with all their other responsibilities as tenants.

Thanks folks,

This is more hassle the first time a house is rented out I guess as it's from the landlords name to the tenant and therefore the landlord who potentially pays if there is a mess up.

How does one handle things when a new lease with subsequent tenants is being signed? Do the utilities go first from 'old' tenants to the landlord and then to new tenants or between tenants?
What happens if there is a gap between old and new tenants? I guess old tenants want to stop being liable of ESB etc. as soon as they are out of a house?

As always all feedback greatly appreciated.

Noobie.

noobie99 said:
How does one handle things when a new lease with subsequent tenants is being signed? Do the utilities go first from 'old' tenants to the landlord and then to new tenants or between tenants?
What happens if there is a gap between old and new tenants? I guess old tenants want to stop being liable of ESB etc. as soon as they are out of a house?
When a tenant vacates, the meters should be read on departure and the utility companies advised. You should then transfer the accounts into your own name.

Expenses incurred in the period between lettings are tax deductible provided the landlord does not occupy the property during the period and a new lease is issued.

Revenue's [broken link removed] guide to rental income might be of use to you also.

Back